Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Chinese lasers - they're here !!!

Chinese lasers - they're here !!!

Excitement reigned today as i got to work to find a huge truck in my loading bay with 2 massive crates aboard. My 2 lasers, a 1200x800 80w RECI tubed and a 600 x 900 60w conventional glass tubed laser had arrived. Excitement soon turned to "p----ed offness" As I discovered that despite us asking the shipping co to use a pneumatic drop tailgate type truck to deliver , that had used a normal type truck and had placed the lasers aboard using a forklift. Considering we dont have a forklift , depite having at least 8 ppl that could manually lift the crates , we couldnt get em off. The truck driver suggested WE hired a forklift and I just told him to go back and use the right truck.
    I had to leave work early , but we were promised delivery by 3 pm , so I will see today whether the lasers are at work waiting to be uncrated.
    This thread will be a detailed documentation in respect of setting the machines up and commisioning them. The first instruction I have given my staff is to photograph the crates from all angles in case there is any signs of dropping or damage. I will be uncrating later today and will photograph it all whilst checking to see that all the bits I ordered are all there.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Rodney, thanks for all of the info... I just picked up my Chinese laser today. It is an 80 watt with a cutting area of 4' x 3' or 1200mm x 900mm. What is the difference in the lasers in your two machines? My laser is a glass tube. What limitations should I expect.

Are you going to document setup and documentation?

Did you get a rotary attachment with these lasers? I got one with mine, but it is weird, it has a four jaw chuck at one end, and a pointed cone at the other. With no way of leveling them. I have no idea how you use this with a glass or bottle.

Bruce
    Last edited by Bruce Dorworth; 05-26-2011 at 2:21 AM. Reason: for something

The one tube is a conventional $180 60w , 800-1000 hr life , the other is an 80w RECI tube with an 8000 hr lifespan and far better control re engraving and cutting and beam quality ($500)
    The limitations of the 80w glass tubes are that they cannot really fire well at VERY low powers , they are really more suited to cutting and less highly detialed engraving than lower powered glass or RF co2 tubes.
    I got 2 rotary attachments , one like yours and another that uses knurled rolletr to rotate the items, I am just unpacking now , will have a closer look to see what adjustments can be made or how to modify them for holding different items.
    You could replace the pointed cone with a ruberised pad or something like that..in the next week or so will come up with my mods...
    I am going to document setup , unpacking , commisioning , software , ease of usage and so on.
    Just had a look at the lathe type rotary , the pointed tail stock on mine is on a bearing that seems pressed into the end plate , I will probably make another end plate to replace that one for objects that cannot be gripped by the tailstock or make a better adjustable system that the tailstock fits into. and acts as an "extended" end plate.
    Last edited by Rodne Gold; 05-26-2011 at 3:24 AM.
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Thanks for the prompt response Rodney. I will watching this thread closely.

Since I am a newbie I will asking a lot of less informed questions, so please try and bear with me. I guess I should have asked a lot of these question prior to buying my laser. Does the power supply have any bearing on the laser. I mean if I wanted to switch to a better laser should my current power supply be able to handle it?

I ordered my laser through Sunnic, it is an Argus. What brand is yours? How is your documentation?

Thanks,
    Bruce

Bruce , Mine is from Shenhui laser , look at my thread "Despatches from China" , i was at the factory etc.
    You would need a new power supply to use the RECI tube , its costs about $150 or so.
    I had copies of the software before hand , and documentation is a little Chinglish , but good enough.
    I have unpacked everything right now , all is 100% and everything I ordered is there and was very well packed , no damage at all.
    Their tech support is superb , their tech guy speaks very good engrish and can answer questions of a highly detailed nature , he is on skype and e-mail , never waited any length of time for an answer.

DSCN0997.jpglcd panel small lasetDSCN0998.jpgemergency switches etcDSCN0995.jpgheadDSCN0994.jpgknife edge tableDSCN0993.jpginside machineDSCN1000.jpgelectronicsDSCN0992.jpg600x900 laserDSCN0999.jpgmainboard

Some pics of unpacking and checking contents and spares
    In these albums
    http://img831.imageshack.us/g/dscn1097j.jpg/
    and
    http://img52.imageshack.us/g/dscn1119w.jpg/
    Warning , tons of images.
    When you view em , use the sort by oldest button to see a semblance of chronological order.
    Last edited by Rodne Gold; 05-27-2011 at 4:18 AM.

Hi Rodne;
    Thanks for sharing info and detail-am anxious to see your comments regarding operation and results when you get them fired up. Do you have spec sheets on the lasers or can you point me to web location for company info? Thanks
    Best Regards;
    George
    Laserarts

DSCN1005.jpgside view of mechansim thru access hatchDSCN1001.jpgmore mainboards etcDSCN1006.jpgside view of 600 x 900DSCN1003.jpginside where power and emergency switches areDSCN1008.jpgside view of gantry with mirror holderDSCN1004.jpgelectronics hatch/panelDSCN1007.jpghoneycomb tableDSCN1002.jpgview of electronic to front
    George , google liaocheng shenui laser
    Last edited by Rodne Gold; 05-27-2011 at 4:21 AM.

DSCN1010.jpgflow safety switchDSCN1009.jpglaser power supplyDSCN1011.jpgflow safetyDSCN1012.jpglimit switch and table raising mechDSCN1016.jpgrotaryDSCN1013.jpgrotary chuckDSCN1014.jpgrotary tailstockDSCN1015.jpgrotary length adjust
    Last edited by Rodne Gold; 05-27-2011 at 4:15 AM.

Blog Entries
    Wow, that was fast, Rodney... glad to see a higher level of integration (SMD components rather than through-hole) is becoming the norm, same with USB. I'm working fast and furious on a set of beefed up cabinets so I can get some equipment off of the floor and free up some room... for more equipment
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Hi Rodne;
    Just read thru your entire "Dispatches from China " thread-great narrative and really appreciate you sharing. If I read correctly, you just got back home around May 24th and your laser shipment has arrived already? Wow!!!
    Will keep looking for updates-thanks
    Best Regards;
    George
    Laserarts

Hehe , I WISH the delivery would have been that quick , I ordered and paid for the lasers 6 weeks ago , it takes a month to ship em to South Africa.
    I must say , I am really impressed so far with the machinery , everything I ordered has been delivered as per specification. The only dissapointment was that my machines do not have the latest software and the new mainboard , this is not a big issue as the new mainboards (motherboards) are drop in and cost $220 or so, the basic functionality hasnt changed but the new software has some nice frills. When my machine was being built , the were still testing the new stuff. Gonna try to get em to send it to me free - I will pay the DHL shipping.

However having a nice machine that is not up and running is academic. They did test the machines in china and align em , but I have no doubt that we will have to realign the optical system as they tubes are removed for transport. I have some preparatory work to do before actually getting them going , like hooking them up to our shop air (the compressor they supply is pretty much mickey mouse compared to our shop air) , I have to get some distilled water for the chillers and get them hooked up to the tubes , I have to hook up the blowers to the exhaust system , I have to prepare an earth spike for them and then have to set up a dedicated puter to run the 2 machines.
    There are also some modifications I wish to do 1) to change the belt drive motorised table to a chain drive as the belts slip , Vincent de klerk did this on his machine.
    2) To implement a micro leveling system for the table. Albeit the table is level or nearly so , there are 2 different types of sub table supplied , a honeycomb and a table with parallel "knives" (like long blades) , due to the large table size , both of these sub tables are not perfectly flat as can be expected to to frame flex etc , so we are making and easy system to level them
    Both these mods are going to be incorporated in future machines from the factory by the way
    In the older models of these machines , the tubes were mounted in V blocks and you had to shim them to align the tubes , they now have a stunning mounting system that is far more adjustable and easily so. I will take pictures of that.
    On monday , we intend to see if we can get both machines fired up and running , and I will play with settings and so on , I think the mods will take a few days to implement , but we should be up to full speed and best practice by Friday.
    As an aside , I am in the process of ordering a 80w Co2 galvo machine with a 250 x 250 , a 200 x 200 and a 100 x 100 marking field lenses and am also ordering a rotary axis to go with it. Was thinking of a YAG , but there are quite a few ppl here where I am with a galvo YAG , all fighting over a piece of the promotional marking markets pie - no one has a co2 galvo and we recon that considering a high proportion of the stuff we do is smaller than 200 x 200 , the fact that we can work 10x faster , even tho we might have to do a lot smaller quantities each time we load , its still a win win situation.
    Even on our bigger machines , there are articles we have to load in one at a time. Cost of the galvo is real cheap as well...under $7k with a single lens and rotary , the lenses to change the marking fields are $770 each.

Just as an aside :
    Here's the price our local guys charge us for my Spirits vs the price of spares for my machine from China
    ZNSE Lens 15mm diameter China price $22 (I ordered 6) , local price $600 each (Im going to use the chinese ones in my spirits same focal length and diameter)
    Mirrors Chinese price $25 (they are not the gold plated ones we use tho) Local price $300 - the chinese mirrors would probably work in the spirits too
    Motors - Chinese stepper $45 , local price servo $600
    Motherboard - Chinese $250 - local price for spirits $800
    Tubes - 80w Reci 8000 hr tube $500 - 30w Synrad $4000 for reconditioning..
    Last edited by Rodne Gold; 05-27-2011 at 1:16 AM.

big laser.jpglarge lasermirrors.jpglensesbig chiller.jpgblowerblower.jpgblowermirror holders and head.jpgmirror holders and headrotary flat.jpgflat rotaryrotary end.jpgrotary end
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rodne Gold; 05-27-2011 at 4:11 AM.

normal tube end.jpgnormal tube endnormal tube end 2.jpgnormal tube other endreci label.jpgreci tube labelreci tube end 1.jpgreci tube endreci tube end 2.jpgreci tube optical coupler endstepper.jpgstepper motorstepper driver.jpgstepper motor driver
    Last edited by Rodne Gold; 05-27-2011 at 4:13 AM.

Hi Rodne;
    Fascinating narrative and detail-thanks
    1. Can you manually move the head to position it like the GCC units?
    2. Will the lenses and mirrors work in the GCC Mercury?
    3. I have contacted Shenhui and am considering order similar to your two units.
    4. What options do I have-power, tables, rotaries, etc.
    5. Did you see demos of some of the larger gantry type units?
    Thanks
    Best Regards;
    George
    Laserarts