Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trend AS Pro Filter Question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Trend AS Pro Filter Question

Does anyone know if the Trend AS Pro filters to the P100 standard? I have had health problems in the past including a pulmonary embolism so I am being very careful with dust and my lungs. I do have a good DC set up and capture most at the source (onedia cyclone), as well as a PM Air Cleaner. I wear a dual canister dust mask with P100 cartridges, but they are always getting in the way of my glasses, and can be difficult to breathe with.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Joe

Last check Joe, Trend wasn't approved by the OSHA/NIOSH...yet!!! The Triton is, but is bulky. Although a PE won't result from the inhalation of particulate matter...I applaud your effort...you sir, are a good example!!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Joe - according to the Trend website - the Pro model, as Jim has stated, is not NIOSH approved. If you are seriously worried about particulate protection, then check out the 3M line of respirators. I use the 3M Airstream and love it! It is expensive but it works and also offers some impact protection.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Joe - according to the Trend website - the Pro model, as Jim has stated, is not NIOSH approved. If you are seriously worried about particulate protection, then check out the 3M line of respirators. I use the 3M Airstream and love it! It is expensive but it works and also offers some impact protection.
    Steve, if the Trend Pro model has the same filters as the 3m (as noted by Rich Aldrich), do you truly believe the 3m is worth 2.5x the price? Between my respirator (dual filter cans), no face shield, and bifocal safety glasses, i'ts getting to be a real pain to work on some of the larger bowls I've been spending time with (the glasses get fogged up, and I am constantly sprayed by wood chips in the face), so I am working on the wife for an early Xmas gift! I like the idea of integrated ear muffs as well if not too cumbersome.

Joe

Joe... all I can offer is my opinion on that and can honestly say that after using the Trend (the original model) for a number of years and then upgrading to the Airstream - the difference is night and day. I never did try out a Trend Pro - so have no idea of comfort or weight but the Airstream feels better balanced and gives you a lot more cfm than my Trend. I also like the idea of having a hardhat to protect my head - something the original Trend did not have but it appears the Pro model does offer some protection.

As far as the cost factor - no doubt about it - the 3M is expensive but it does have a track record of proven reliability. I made the leap to the 3M because I didn't want to upgrade again in a few years.... So far, I use the Airstream every time I turn and feel it was a smart move ... for me.

If you do not have a powered respirator or face protection... anything you get would be an improvement! Not an easy decision - so pick what will work best for you and your style of turning.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Ditto what Steve said. I have the 3M Airstream. I also wear glasses with bifocals and dust masks with or without cartridges always fog up my glasses. I have had several bronchial infections due to dust. As my doctor told me it is $800 for repirator is a lot cheaper than a lung. The grain elevator here in town uses them when unloading grain because of the dust and also uses them when they move grain. I haven't used the Trend Pro but did have the original Trend. The difference as was noted is night and day. Mine goes on when I enter the shop and comes off when I leave. Have not had a problem with discomfort. I also use a PSI air cleaner and DC.

I agree it is a tough decision but a important one.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Like Steve and Bernie I have the 3M Airstream. I have not used the Trend or Triton products but considered both. I've already forgotten about the cost. I purchased mine NIB from an seller on an auction site. Before using the unit I could feel the dust in my nose after turning. Now I leave the shop in the same condition as I entered.

Thanks for everyone for their comments and thoughts. This is obviously a very expensive and important decision. After a lot of research my wife got me the Airtrend pro. I had decided to give it a fair shake, then downloaded the manual last night. The following is directly from the manual, and has while I understand it is not NIOSH approved, the warning has really given me pause, and caused me to start rethinking:

Warning

The TREND AIRSHIELD PRO is not a RESPIRATOR nor a NIOSH approved device. Using the power visor against harmful substances may result in sickness or death. This filter will not protect your lungs. Misuse may result in sickness or death. For proper use, see supervisor or user instructions.

Use for:

Relief from the bothersome effects of the common nuisance dusts. Provides limited eye and face protection. Users must evaluate their specific eye and face hazards and choose appropriate protective equipment such as safety glasses.

Do not use for:

Protection from harmful dusts, mists, fumes or vapours. Professional/occupational applications where NIOSH approved respiratory protection is required.

I have an email in to Trend before I send the pro back. To both her and I, it looked like it fit the bill, but I can't afford to take any chances. If they can't address the concerns, we'll be going the 3m airstream route.

I wanted to make special mention of Alan Z. He spent about an hour on the phone with me discussing merits of both (since he has both), and it was just an absolute pleasure to speak with him. Thanks Alan for your time!

Joe

9. Joe,

Your thinking may vary from mine, but I will give you my take. First, I almost died in 2006 from double pneumonia and associated issues it brought to my heart. I have gotten the Trend Airshield Pro, and it has done a great job for me. I also use an overhead air cleaner when sanding and try to collect the fine dust with a dust collector hook up behind my lathe.

I have been prone to sinus infections over the last twenty years also.............since getting the Trend, I have not had one at all. I used to blow dust out of my nose after turning..........now I do not when I use the Trend Pro. I regularly reverse blow the filters by putting an air hose nozzle at the openings where the air washes your face when the unit is on. I also take them out on occasion and with light air pressure blow them out from the inside of the filter............I mainly do this to extend their life, but it also helps keep the accumulation of of buildup down.

My pulmonologist has given me a clean bill of health..............I am very conscientious of my lungs now...........I think the filters are made from the same stuff the Airstream are made from...............the Pro unit is much better than the original Trend which had a small filter in the forehead area, from what I understand.

Just info for you to consider...........good luck!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Joe,

I enjoyed our phone call.

I put the Trend Airshield Pro and the 3m AirStream in much the same category... Particle filtration.

As I mentioned on the phone, for the really nasty stuff you would need something along the lines of the 3m BreatheEasy which has a wide array of canisters for various toxins, gasses, and volatile organic compounds. This is the kind of gear that first responders use, typically with butyl rubber hoods instead of helmets.

We use our BreatheEasy when doing things like casting resins, but the Trend or the AirStream works just fine for woodturning and general shop use.
    Last edited by Alan Zenreich; 12-31-2011 at 1:34 PM.
    Lathes: Nova DVR XP, Delta 46-460, Jet 1014vsi; Bader III 2"x72" belt grinder; Triton 2.25 router; CMT Industrio table; Jointech fence; SC planer; Dewalt miter; Delta 14" bandsaw; Festool TS55, MFT/3, CT22, ETS150/3, OF1400, PSB300EQ, CXS; Hegner Scrollsaw; JJ-6CS jointer; Grizzly 1023s cabinetsaw, Jet 17" drill press; Rigid OSS; 9" SandFlee; 3M AirStream & Breathe Easy PAPRs

I use a 3M non powered respirator (7500 series), glasses with bifocals and bionic face shield, and very seldom experience any fogging issues in my 60 degree basement. The respirator has different filters for organic solvents and dust, and is more comfortable than most due to it's flexible silicon mask. i'm sure the Airstream would be more comfortable, but if it's a cost thing, my setup offers great protection from dust and chips, though I'm less confident about the impact protection the Bionic Shield provides. It is a relief to wear when the chips are flying though, does a much better job than the glasses to keep stuff out of my face.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

12. My personal opinion on something ..............it is my feeling that while Trend does provide a very useful respirator in the Pro model, that they use the disclaimer Joe referenced to avoid any legal liability..........by stating what they do, it is likely that they use it as legaleze to avoid claims against them should anyone use it in a manner it was not meant for..........such as VOC's...........

For dust like is produced in wood shop, this unit should work fine...........that is my opinion.......yours may vary!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Vincent 63 View Post
    Does anyone know if the Trend AS Pro filters to the P100 standard?
    You might take a look at the resp-o-rator. It's only $50 with two Hepa filters. A unique design and worth evaluating.

http://www.resp-o-rator.com/ror/index.htm

Here's a youtube video explaining it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR9BAB8k9dI
    Last edited by Roger Wilson; 05-29-2011 at 6:54 PM.
    Tage Frid: The easiest thing in the world is to make mistakes.

My understanding is that the Trend Airshield Pro does meet the BS EN 12941:1999 standard. Unfortunately, you have to purchase the standard to read it, so it is difficult to draw an informed conclusion as to how good the protection is. Since this made in Great Britain (or at least designed and tested in Great Britain), it is tested to their standards and not tested to the US standards.

The Trend will not protect against vapors or fumes; it is only designed to protect against solid particulates.

Now to compare, the Trend Airshield Pro has TH2P rated filters - the same as the 3M Airstream. These filters are what provide the particulate protection. Based on the filter rating, the new Trend Airshield Pro has the same particulate protection as the 3M Airstream. I purchased the new Trend Airshield Pro a few months ago. It has a good sealing system around your face making a good positive pressured chamber around your face. It seems to work as well as my cartridge resporator, but much more comfortable.
    Last edited by Rich Aldrich; 05-29-2011 at 10:49 PM.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Last I checked the Airshield PRO had better filtration than the Triton, as well as better CFM, and a non-distorted view. That's verifiable data.

That being said, subjectively, I don't find theAirshield PRO as comfortable as my old Triton was.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain