Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trend AS Pro Filter Question

I just got my Trend Pro and it works great. However I can tell you from having been in the machine tool industry that a large portion of the cost of a product is product liability insurance. We use to sell a little air over hydrolic press and about half of the $2500 cost was product liability insurance as there had been very heavy claims with that type of machine. 3M has tons of government and commercial contracts they have to have that insurance and ratings to meet contract requirements etc. I bet Trend does not have those types of contracts and caters to the consumer market more. Not saying the 3m is not better because it is probably of better construction but for most of us hobbies and semi-pro turners worried about particulate protection It is a leap forward compared to what most of us use which is nothing.

Alan

It goes back to the filter they are using for particulate - the filter meets the same standard THP2 as far as I can tell.

I can really smell DNA when I rough out a bowl and put it in the solution while still wearing the Trend Pro, but that is vapor, not particulate. Some pine and spruce I can smell also. I think it is the pitch that I smell as opposed to wood dust.

The only issue I have is with my dust collector running, I cant hear the beeping alarm when the battery gets low.

To me, both are good units. I just didnt have the cash for the 3M. Someday I probably will upgrade.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Joe, I did some testing on the Trend Pro and Trend Original. You can read about it here:http://www.woodturnersamerica.com/in...:ppe&Itemid=90
    But the bottom line is it's a particulate filter and does great, the filters are like 2 thick fiber socks. I've not looked at the 3M so can't speak for it, but 3M has a good name and was willing to do the testing to get the ratings. At my work for better filtration we use paper type filters, they just don't produce the airflow, so are not as comfortable, plus the mask is just awful to wear. I've done lots of sanding and find my nose is clear afterwards, while using the Trend, and it's comfortable to wear.
    I also have my DC exhaust routed outside and often run it while sanding on the lathe, and with that set up, it's 100% filtration, if the dust gets in it.

Nice article, Josh. Good information!

Joe

Joe
    Not to muddy the waters. But after reading all the post here and looking for more info for myself. I came across this product from 3M, (3m versaflo) system of components that you assemble to meet level of saftey the end user needs. Lungs, eye, ears, and face. Hope this is of some help to you. Tom P.S. After some additional read on the web, 3M Versaflo system that I like, was P/N TR 300-HIK. best price was little over $800.00. check out this link. http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/...-papr-kit.html
    Last edited by Thomas Hotchkin; 01-01-2012 at 2:12 AM. Reason: added more info

Just a quick update - after emailing the company multiple times about my questions noted above, and not receiving a response, I am returning the Trend Pro and going with one of the 3m systems. I can't afford to take any chances.

Thanks for all the great thoughts and feedback.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hotchkin View Post
    Joe
    Not to muddy the waters. But after reading all the post here and looking for more info for myself. I came across this product from 3M, (3m versaflo) system of components that you assemble to meet level of saftey the end user needs. Lungs, eye, ears, and face. Hope this is of some help to you. Tom P.S. After some additional read on the web, 3M Versaflo system that I like, was P/N TR 300-HIK. best price was little over $800.00. check out this link. http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/...-papr-kit.html
    By the way, this looks like a really great system - love the look, size and weight. Just not sure if I can come to grips with belt mounted and a hose for air vs the airstream!

Joe

Joe,

I've never tried to email Trend... though I have spoken to them on the phone several times, and got through to a real person right away each time. Trend customer support is, in my opinion, great.

However, as you know, I also rather like the 3M units.

Tomorrow I'll make some photos of the Lithium Ion battery that I've hooked up to my 3M Airstream. I'm very pleased with this setup, as the battery is lightweight (4 oz) making it easy to mount atop the helmet (so no cord to the waist).
    Lathes: Nova DVR XP, Delta 46-460, Jet 1014vsi; Bader III 2"x72" belt grinder; Triton 2.25 router; CMT Industrio table; Jointech fence; SC planer; Dewalt miter; Delta 14" bandsaw; Festool TS55, MFT/3, CT22, ETS150/3, OF1400, PSB300EQ, CXS; Hegner Scrollsaw; JJ-6CS jointer; Grizzly 1023s cabinetsaw, Jet 17" drill press; Rigid OSS; 9" SandFlee; 3M AirStream & Breathe Easy PAPRs

9. Has anyone used the Resp-O-Rator that Roger was talking about? I bought the Trend Pro two years ago and while I like the cool air on my face, after a while my neck still gets sore from the weight on the top of my head. I was thinking about the resp-o-rator but haven't heard much here about it. I also use a dust collector when I turn and just installed a Jet fine particle air cleaner. My father died from emphysema and I certainly don't want to go that route.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Zenreich View Post
    Joe,

I've never tried to email Trend... though I have spoken to them on the phone several times, and got through to a real person right away each time. Trend customer support is, in my opinion, great.

However, as you know, I also rather like the 3M units.

Tomorrow I'll make some photos of the Lithium Ion battery that I've hooked up to my 3M Airstream. I'm very pleased with this setup, as the battery is lightweight (4 oz) making it easy to mount atop the helmet (so no cord to the waist).

Alan, that would be great!

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl A. Prince View Post
    Has anyone used the Resp-O-Rator that Roger was talking about? I bought the Trend Pro two years ago and while I like the cool air on my face, after a while my neck still gets sore from the weight on the top of my head. I was thinking about the resp-o-rator but haven't heard much here about it. I also use a dust collector when I turn and just installed a Jet fine particle air cleaner. My father died from emphysema and I certainly don't want to go that route.

I well respond to this because I have this unit. I bought it because I have been working on a little sail boat and it requires a lot of sanding on epoxy. Here is my experience with it. I feel it is a step up from a dust mask, but no where near the protection of the helmet types. It is not comfortable for me. The nose plug does not really plug my nose and it falls off sometimes. I've thought about getting the type that swimmers use to fix that. You have to breath through your mouth while wearing it, and after about 3 minutes of wearing it, I have slobber running down the front of me! Not a pretty site. This may just be me because I have not read where others are complaining about. I do still use it because some positions I get into to sand just do not allow for a big helmet on my head. I also have a Trend Pro and use it when ever possible.
    "We the People ........"

Paul...I tip my hat to you!! That was an honest review from experience and we need more of that. I have called Trend (A Canadian company) twice and the phone is always answered and so are my questions. E-mail may end up in a spam folder...pick up the phone and ask questions! People need to remember what it's for and move on from there. I've had 2 turnings let loose in my face in the last few days...high speed and several sharp chunks. Always wear my Trend and only my wallet (and underwear) was damaged from having to replace the wood. If you aren't using something, well let's just use the word stupid and call it that.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Burr View Post
    Paul...I tip my hat to you!! That was an honest review from experience and we need more of that. I have called Trend (A Canadian company) twice and the phone is always answered and so are my questions. E-mail may end up in a spam folder...pick up the phone and ask questions! People need to remember what it's for and move on from there. I've had 2 turnings let loose in my face in the last few days...high speed and several sharp chunks. Always wear my Trend and only my wallet (and underwear) was damaged from having to replace the wood. If you aren't using something, well let's just use the word stupid and call it that.

Jim, I understand the phone call route, but I was looking for an official reasoning. Many times phones are answered by sales people or technicians who will give you their understanding. Trend chose to put that verbiage in their user manual (in writing) which is why I was looking for the official response (regardless of what it was).

Joe

Joe,

If you were to get a response via email, it would likely be from the same folk you would talk to on the phone. I cannot stress enough just how good Trend's phone support has been. Twice I had the headband break on the AirShield pro and twice they sent out upgraded replacement parts the same day, no charge, and no shipping charge. Parts arrive in a day or two... Can't ask for more than that. They are great folk to deal with.

I would not hold out for a 'legal' official response from someone who has never actually used the unit <s>

I am not trying to dissuade you from switching to the 3m unit, but let's face it... I have never see folk going from the AirShield Pro to the 3m because of performance problems with dust control.

I switched to the 3m units to have compatibility between single piece AirStream units and the BreatheEasy units that can take organic cartridges. I also like the flip up visor on the 3m helmets, but these are not dust performance issues.
    Lathes: Nova DVR XP, Delta 46-460, Jet 1014vsi; Bader III 2"x72" belt grinder; Triton 2.25 router; CMT Industrio table; Jointech fence; SC planer; Dewalt miter; Delta 14" bandsaw; Festool TS55, MFT/3, CT22, ETS150/3, OF1400, PSB300EQ, CXS; Hegner Scrollsaw; JJ-6CS jointer; Grizzly 1023s cabinetsaw, Jet 17" drill press; Rigid OSS; 9" SandFlee; 3M AirStream & Breathe Easy PAPRs

Two questions on the AS Pro batteries:

1. I've seen tutorials on making a batter pack for the original AS, but has anyone done so for the AS Pro?
    2. What is the connection like on the AS Pro battery? Is it a universal type plug that one could buy or is the configuration of the battery pack such that it is proprietary and could not be made with standard connectors?

thanks