Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 220 Motor Question

manual starter = on/off switch???

LOL I hear ya John! Now that I understand a bit more than I did, I don't think I'll have a problem with not using the "factory replacement" item.

Quote Originally Posted by David Nelson1 View Post
    manual starter = on/off switch???
    Yes, although it's a special switch, it is rated to make (Turn on), and break (turn off) the magnitudes of current associated with certain sizes of motors.

That's why in addition to voltage and current ratings, they will have a horsepower rating.

A conventional switch won't be suitable for a motor load, as a result it won't be marked with a horsepower rating.

Regards, Rod.

Dave, go to Mouser.com and you should be able to find a replacement toggle switch. You could also use a "light switch" type with a 20 amp rating.

Do a search at owwm.org about switches. You can learn quite a bit about.

Rod and Don Thanks for the info !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What we have here....is failure...of a 20A-rated toggle switch.

Rockwell (then Delta) should be ashamed to put such a meager switch on a 12A, 230V motor. My RC-33 planer is just the same. Or was! 25 years ago I rigged up my own magnetic starter switch from junkyard HVAC parts. Maybe not up OSHA/NEMA standards, but back in the day it worked just fine, and still does.

You can look for another 20A DPST switch for your planer, OR you can ramp up to a realmotor starter--either manual or magnetic. That is subject for another thread. For now, bottom line is: your little toggle is sticking and you need a new one. They do not get any better over time.

~Chip~
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Replaced it with a 23.00 unit I got locally and it was 20 amps as well. BTW that was one good movie. Cant remember the name.... CRS LOL

Cool Hand Luke...Paul Newman...1967! One of my all-time FAVs! Enjoy your toggle for as long as it lasts! That could be a long time if you are just a hobby planer-user! Best of luck.
    ~Chip~
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!