Thread: David Finck Book Reccomendation

David Finck Book Reccomendation

I finally got around to buying David Finck's book, Making and Mastering Wood Planes, have to say, this is one of the better books on neander type woodworking, wish I'd bought this several years ago, definitely would have saved me some money, along with teaching me some valuable skills. So, I realize many, if not most of you probably have already read this, but I've always been a bit slow on the uptake. If you don't own it, buy it.

Yes its not just a book on building hand planes its a book on hand planes period..

It was out of print for several months at one time so I would not wait to long to buy a copy..

Amazon has only four copies @$24

The link below has them at $17

http://www.a1outlet.com/cgi-bin/mktS...NG-WOOD-PLANES
    aka rarebear - Hand Planes 101 - RexMill - The Resource

That book got me started into making hand planes. I got the book when I was just getting into WWing and I really enjoyed the earlier pages about tool usage. In some ways this book is more useful than "the handplane book".
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

He also sells the book at his website (www.davidfinck.com).

It's a wonderful book that shows you how to make a plane, starting from the very beginning with how to use all the needed tools, and how to set up and use the plane well. It's a very good introduction to hand tools that provides a task as context for every tool it covers. But the frontispiece photo of the three year old on her knees planing a table top is worth the price of the book.

Lee valley seems to have a consistent supply: http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...096,46107&ap=1

Ryan,
    After the first printing the book used was listed at Amazon for $50..
    What I have learned is good woodworking books go out of print

This is another must have book
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=all
    At one time you could only buy it for about $89 and you see one seller is still asking that price..
    Last edited by Johnny Kleso; 05-21-2011 at 11:36 AM.
    aka rarebear - Hand Planes 101 - RexMill - The Resource

Johnny.

I had heard that too. That being said, Lee Valley lists it as in-stock on their website and I've stood in the Toronto store and leafed through a copy. Finck's book is on the birthday wishlist.

Its a shame when old books become unavailable or inaccessible for your average Joe. Its nice to see a large number of them being re-published or placed in the public domain (in cases of expired copyrights)

I ordered the book directly from David's web site and it came autographed - nice touch!

+1 on it not being just about making a plane. Lots of good hand tool info.

I finished my 22" jointer with a 2" hock blade today, and after tuning it up decided to really put it to the test. I have some ribbon stripe "mahogany" that defies anything other then my LV BU jack with a 50* blade. I planed the edges, and the face with the jointer, and could not believe the results, absolutely no tear out, and the surface is ready to finish as is, it looks like it has been waxed. So, big thanks to David for the knowledge he provides in the book, and also to Ron Hock for what is a great blade. I have plans to build several more wooden planes and the wooden jointer is now my favorite plane
    John

After reading this thread, I decided to push this a little further up my wish list and get around to buying it. I just got in the mail today after work, and I've been skimming through it, and it's definitely worth it. Had I realized that that the book had as much content as it does, I would have gotten this earlier!

Has anyone tried the irons Finck sells on his site, or compared them to the Hock irons?