Thread: Help with Shipping

Help with Shipping

Hi ALl,

I am a one man shop and live on the west coast and am trying to ship a 7 draw dresser. The prices I am getting to ship this 700 to 1000. How do most of you guys ship your large pieces. This dresser has to go to the east coast. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Rob

Rob,
    You may want to look at freightquote.com. I have shipped some large items through them. Basically they are a broker. Most of the savings came by shipping terminal to terminal: You bring the item to the freight terminal and the addressee will pick it up at the destination terminal. I found adding home/residential delivery adds a tidy amount.
    Also, I would build a sturdy plywood box with plenty of cushioning around the dresser and mount it on a pallet. Truck freight is not known for gentle handling, I always add shock and direction sensors on the box (easy way to proove the box was dropped/tossed/mishandleg during shipping in case of damage).
    Cheers,
    Bernhard

I am in Wisconsin and have used PLycon. I have pieces in almost every state. Your price is not out of line at all for blanket wrap and delivery and set up. I have several pieces that have gone to California and that is about what the customer pays for as large piece. I have had a few customers interested in having something shipped by truck. But the difference between making a crate and shipment and having the piece picked up and blanket wrapped and delivered if not that great.They like that the piece is delivered and set up in their home and they don't have to worry about clean up or damage. I have never had any damage when done with a blanket wrap service. I have also used large moving companies. Hope this helps. bob

It's goofy, but ask a piano mover.

They likely have a much better discount rate with YRC or Roadway.

I moved my Bandsaw this way, and saved 40% over the best quote I could personally arrange.

Build the box with a sloped top. They can't stack anything on top of it that way.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Hi Robert, A couple questions occurred even before reading Bob's reply. What will your customer be expecting? We don't know if this is someone who might be young, active and price conscious stretching to buy a piece you discounted or more of the profile Bob described- someone who paid well for a custom piece and doesn't expect to participate in the logistics of delivery. As a hobby guy it never occurred to me to wonder what well off people do about stuff like furniture delivery. The blanket wrap and set up option makes sense but I wouldn't have thought of it without the prompt. How big is the piece? Do you have a weight or estimate of same? That might help someone here discuss options.
    Good luck,
    Larry

I use plycon also they have a online bid form. You could also see if craters and freighters has a franchise near you. Blanket wrap is the way to go and pay for the insurance, clients can afford it.
    The nice thing about plycon is they will place the piece in the house a lot of shippers it is up to the client to get it off the truck and dispose of the crate if their is one. I know for a fact my clients wouldn't be happy with this.
    www.plycongroup.com
    www.cratersandfreighters.com

Hi All,

Thank you for all the suggestion and help. Larry it is a family member that is getting the dresser so the cost is a concern. The dresser weighs approx 200lbs 53"L x24"D x 35 x T. The idea of a piano mover is one I will look into along with the crating and having a freight line take it is also something I will try. The last time I had something to go to the east coast I drove it out myself but am way to bust to do that this time.

robThanks

you certainly can check out uship.com for a wide variety of individual people driving empty trucks and smaller companies looking to fill the empty space.