Thread: Shop vac - Thien seperator roll around - "scraps project".

Shop vac - Thien seperator roll around - "scraps project".

Ok - first post in a series I hope to expand on I'm calling "scraps projects".
    I define a "scraps project" by something I need or want to make that uses a signifivant amount of "scraps" to construct.

Crude I know -& not even close to being finished- but - does what I need it to do & I'll get the rest of it done next week. I'm out of time this week.

Like just about everything else I have in the shop, I needed:

- Wheels to move it around.
    - Something that does double/triple or more duty.
    - Something that used a lot of scraps to make and required as little as possible be purchased.

When I made the Thien seperator, I had ~ a 24x48 piece of 2/3" plywood with a big hole cut into it.
    When I made the roll around sheet goods cart (you can see part of it in the background), I had some triangle shaped pieces of plywood left over.

The sections of piano hing were also scraps.
    The Kreg screws used were reclaimed from another project.
    The bottom is a piece of scrap 1/2" plywood.
    Half the 2x4 undercarriage is made of reclaimed/scrap or shorts 2x4.
    The writing/reading table and catch-all is made of a salvaged hardwood folding snack table & more angled pieces from the sheet goods cart that were scrap.

My materials cost out of pocket:
    - four 3" locking casters - 4x $5.04 = $20.20
    - half a box of 2.5" screws - ~ $3.50 from HD.
    - sixteen 2" x 1/4" lag screws @ $.19ea = $3.04
    - two pints of utility grey semi gloss @ $ 1.00 ea (small samples from Lowes "bone pile")
    - half a sheet of 1/2" MDF (yet to be added on the other side of the writing/reading/catch-all is going to be a small cabinet for holding screws and table saw blades.)

So - total I figure maybe $30/$35 (so far) - excluding what I have in the Thien seperator.

I still need to fill the pocket screw holes & paint the whole thing & make the small cabinet & add some support for the trash can & do some other stuff. I'll update this as it moves along.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks cool. You might consider doing some sort of relief valve or hole in your seperator lid. Before I got my dust collector I attempted a seperator out of a metal can like yours. It was only in operation for a couple minutes. I was testing it out and I laid the hose down in the shop while it was on. It sucked up flat against a floor mat and the can imploded in seconds.