Thread: Sublimation questions

Sublimation questions

Finally got up and running and did my first corian test pieces. Not bad but certainly not spectacular...I'm going to call David Gross with conde in am and see if my setting are correct in Corel. 1st question does any paper work with the Ricoh or is there a special paper I need to use, they sent me an epson paper with printer(Photo quality ink jet paper720 DPI)? 2nd dumb question can the printed image be applied next day or should it be immediately sublimated. When I took off the paper it just lifted off no problem does this mean I'm doing something wrong? Is there a DPI that works best for photo or any other setting I need to adjust in Corel before printing or scanning. I also have a black and white old photo I want to scan does b/w behave differently. When I did the test piece it had much browner tones than the actual photo... it looked kinda old and antique but certainly different..thanks for help Bill W.

Bill,

I don't have much time this morning to expand my response but we don't have any reference information concerning using the gel-based ink on Corian yet. I recently purchased a Ricoh printer but I haven't tried to dye-sub Corian yet.

I will be busy at CNU until the middle of June, I will then have the time to put my new printer to the test. Keep us appraised of your progress, it looks like you are on the leading edge.

You need a special paper.

The brown is because a setting is not correct. Could be your print setup in Corel. Blacks coming out brown is a notorious problem in dye sub and it's correctable.

The printed paper can be used the next day, no problem.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Bill:
    I am using Textprint-R with my Ricoh. The results are excellent.
    If you bought your printer from Conde, you should download the profile for the printer, install it and then call David. (David ain't gonna know much about Corian though I doubt) I consider myself to be pretty literate with PCs having been using them since DOS was the operating system (no Windows), but no way could I have ever set that driver up without David. David is an expert on printers and color, it was his profession before he started working with sublimation. If you will read his tech tips you can learn a lot about color management. Printing, regardless of what kind it is, borders on being an art. When it's right it's glorious, when it's wrong it sucks. Not much in between.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Bill,

I am sure the Shop has AC in FL.... But a printed Sublimation Sheet can absorb moisture and it will effect the transfer process as the moisture turns to steam in the press and can cause the image to blur or a white lightly printed areas. So I lay my transfer on top of my press to let the moisture dry out before printing. I have used Transfer Sheets printed 2 weeks earlier with great results.

Good Luck,

AL
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

Thanks for good help, God it's nice to have a "go to" place for help with new stuff. I called the guy I bought the supplies from this afternoon but he never called me back will try again tomorrow and if that doesn't work I will call David. Probably will end up being one of those deals where the best price is not the best value in long run. Bill W.