Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help removing band saw wheel

Help removing band saw wheel

I have acquired a Jet 12" band saw. It was bought by a colleague's husband a number of years back, who then became ill and eventually died. The plastic bands holding the box closed had never even been removed.

Not surprisingly, having sat that long, the tires are shot. I am trying to replace them, but I am having a problem with the lower wheel. When trying to remove it, I cannot break the screw free.

I know it is a reverse thread -- I have been trying to turn it the correct direction. There is a matching screw in the back, and I have been trying to hold the wheel steady with that and break it free in the front to no avail. I have had my wife hold it steady while I try to break it free. Nothing. I have stopped for the afternoon because I am afraid I am going to round over the bolt head.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.

Is it necessary to remove the wheel to replace the tire?
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dave toney View Post
    Is it necessary to remove the wheel to replace the tire?
    Dave
    They are urethane tires and you have to work pretty hard to stretch them over the wheel. I really cannot imagine doing it while the wheel is in the machine. Also, the V-belt is behind the wheel, and to replace it you have to remove the wheel. I figure that with how long it has been sitting, I'll likely have to replace that before too long anyway. I have to figure out how to get this thing off.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Kennedy View Post
    They are urethane tires and you have to work pretty hard to stretch them over the wheel. I really cannot imagine doing it while the wheel is in the machine. Also, the V-belt is behind the wheel, and to replace it you have to remove the wheel. I figure that with how long it has been sitting, I'll likely have to replace that before too long anyway. I have to figure out how to get this thing off.
    I don't know what to suggest about removing the wheel.
    But when you put on the urethane tires, have a bucket of hot soapy water handy, soak the belts until they are good and warm and they will stretch easier.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dave toney View Post
    I don't know what to suggest about removing the wheel.
    But when you put on the urethane tires, have a bucket of hot soapy water handy, soak the belts until they are good and warm and they will stretch easier.
    Dave
    +1,i think all urethane tires are a "tight fit" but I've never removed a wheel to put one on, just the warm soapy soak...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    +1,i think all urethane tires are a "tight fit" but I've never removed a wheel to put one on, just the warm soapy soak...
    But the belt issue is still at hand. Since no owners have chimed in and may not (the belt lasts a pretty long time on smaller saws so no one around here may have done this) I'd call jet and reference the model number and ask advice there. Good luck.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    Are you SURE it's a left hand thread ??

Is it a bolt that screws into a shaft or a nut on the shaft? Unless you see evidence of rust I can't imagine it being that tight. What are you attempting to break it loose with? If there are any exposed threads you should be able to determine with certainty that its left handed thread. If you have a box end wrench you can usually strike it with a brass hammer and create enough "shock" to break it loose especially if you don't have an impact wrench at your disposal. Maybe a pic or two of it so we are clear on it. Good luck.

Soak it for awhile in some wd-40 or liquid wrench or your other favorite chemical before using the impact wrench. A CHEAP impact screwdriver can be had at Harbor freight for about $8. A good quality American one goes for about $20. And as stated above, double check to see that its a left hand thread. A LITTLE heat from a soldering iron may help also. Lastly, there are extractors for rounded bolds which may be applicable. Let us know how you make out.

My Delta was held on by a key, if I remember correctly... If you take it apart I'd visit your local bearing supplier and price out getting replacements. If it was setting in one spot for a long time the bearings may be shot. They weren't all that pricey, for mine at least.

I just replaced the belt on my 12yo 14" Delta with a power-twist segmented link belt and what a difference on noise!!

I can't speak to your install but if you can swap the tire without removing the wheel, you may be able to replace the belt one of these, wrapping it around the one shaft / pulley before "closing" the belt. As for me, it worked so well I replace the ones on my jointer and drill press as well!!!

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...gmented%20belt
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

If you have to hold the wheel, put a 2 x 4 across the outside of the wheel from rim to rim (doesn't have to be centered) and clamp it on. Prop it against something solid, (table, frame etc) and turn away. It will give you a lot of holding leverage. It SHOULDN'T be any tighter than that!!!

Agreed that pictures would help...
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

I cannot see any threads, but the manual clearly states it is a reverse thread (bold-face instructions to turn it clockwise). Of course, the manual says to simply remove it.
    What I can see is the bolt head with a washer underneath, and then some of the bearing.

An impact wrench might be the answer. My neighbor is a gearhead, so he may have one I can borrow. I tried wedging the wheel against the frame with some scrap and it didn't work, but I'll try the 2 by 4 idea.

My camera is on the fritz, but I'll try a couple of photos with my cell phone.

Chris

Got it!

I got it free. I managed to wedge a piece of scrap in the wheel and the dust port. A few taps with a mallet convinced the bolt to come free.

I took a couple of pictures of the washer with my cell. The washer is ridiculously concave and you can see scoring marks on it from the bolt head. I think someone at the Jet factory got a little overzealous while tightening it. The top wheel was on just slightly more than hand tight, so it is rather surprising.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will probably replace the belt now anyway, simply because I can. I need to find a place that sells reverse thread metric bolts as well. I am going to hope that the bearings are okay.

Cheers,

Chris

Washer1.jpg

Washer2.jpg
    Last edited by Chris Kennedy; 06-07-2011 at 10:44 AM. Reason: spelling

I was able to do my Delta with the wheel on the machine.
    Did you read above to heat the tire in water? A 140º bath will get it nice and soft.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

What started this whole thing was the directions on the tire package. It said to heat them in soapy water for 15 minutes, remove the wheels, clean off the remnants of the old tires and stretch on the new ones. The top tire went on just fine that way.

It's kind of a moot point -- I really needed to get the wheel off anyway to look at the V-belt. Having sat so long, I can imagine that it will either need to be replaced or its tension adjusted, which requires removing the wheel.

Cheers,

Chris