Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'M WILLING TO TRY (almost) ANYTHING

Cool. This should be fun! Lottsa pics, Gene!!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I'm not in any way trying to discourage this adventure, but assuming you are successful in creating this Frankensander, just what do you hope to do with it? You could use it to radius a fretboard on the BIGGEST GUITAR EVER with a pendulum. Or you could sharpen your pencils. Based on that you tube vid I tihink I could actually push sandpaper by hand a bit quicker. Perhaps you could also bild a right angle fence and use it to sand door edges, sort of like a jointer style fence, for fitting inset doors? What ever you choose to do, by al means hold on tight!

Hmmmm...I'll be curious how this works out. We have a dust collector/clothes hangar thing that resembles a treadmill Wonder where I could buy sand paper for that?

While you're in there though, what are the odds of maybe figuring out someway to make a big ol' drum sander?

Well, Wife and I unloaded it from the truck and wheeled it into the shop.
    As soon as I finish up the mirrors and get them sent off, I'll be tearing the treadmill down to the essentials and building a stand. I have around 80' of 2X4 steel tube that will make a nice stand.
    I'll post beginning pics as soon as I get it all torn down.
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH

80' of 2x4 tubing ? that is a odd size to me

Ray,
    I'm not a metal guy. These are 20' long, 2" X 4" hollow lengths of bright steel, 1/8" thick. I originally used them as "jambs" to anchor pairs of large doors to close in a metal shed, open on both ends.
    Gene
    GH

Recommend you ALWAYS use push blocks with handles on top when using the sander. You don't want to sand the palm of your hand down to the blood when the wood suddenly scoots out from under your hand. Can you make a fence across the end of the sander to keep that from happening? You could leave some clearance under it so your dust scoop will still work.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Howe View Post
    Ray,
    I'm not a metal guy. These are 20' long, 2" X 4" hollow lengths of bright steel, 1/8" thick. I originally used them as "jambs" to anchor pairs of large doors to close in a metal shed, open on both ends.
    I were thinking 2x4 as in welding, I just came back home from home depot and one thing that I seen in the store were steel joists and wall studs , is the bright finish tin plated

They aren't tin plated. Just shiny, as opposed to black steel. Not as shiny as tin or chrome plating. Real smooth, too.
    Gene
    GH

Is it up and running yet?

Heck no!
    I'm still working on the mirrors I have promised.
    I'll get to it soon, though.
    Gene
    GH

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Howe View Post
    This Utube video SANDER seriously intrigued me. So today, I’m picking up a treadmill to convert into a belt sander.
    I’m getting it from a lady who bought it 3 years ago and then moved to a home “off grid”.
    The utube video mentions a granite slab for a platen. I wonder if wood (or something else) would work. Any ideas out there?
    Stay tuned.
    I think Red Green already did this...

Carl

This project ever get off the ground? I'm curious to see how it turned out.....