Thread: Loft bed/desk/chest of drawer plans?

Loft bed/desk/chest of drawer plans?

My son and I were following my wife around a furniture store the other day and he saw the bunk bed displays and thought they were very cool. He's 4. I'd like to make him something. We only have him, so we don't need bunk beds.

I was thinking something with a chest of drawers and maybe a desk would be functional and still give him an area underneath to play in.

Has anyone seen anything like that or can point me toward something? Thanks very much.

I have a five year old and am thinking about the same thing. We don't need two beds as much as just wanting to maximize use of the room, and was thinking about a desk/table underneath the bunk on top. My problem is that we don't have very tall ceilings, and so if we leave too much headroom for the seating underneath, there won't be enough room to sit up in bed.

A solution I've seen is http://www.bergfurniture.com/playstudy.html. Basically, they moved the desk forward, so only the desk and storage is under the canopy, and thus the bed can be lowered. By moving it forward, they also created a void in the other side of the bed, which they just made into a special hiding place for the little ones. I think it can be quite fun.

The other move they made is to widen the bed itself, so that you can put in steps/stairs instead of ladder. I think this will help when you have to climb up to tuck them in, etc. The steps also serves as drawers for storage, a nice touch.

I can't say I love their design, but some of their ideas are good ones and I may adopt them.
    Last edited by William Lai; 02-27-2005 at 2:49 PM.

Gary,
    I wouldn't discout the second bed too fast. He's quickly geting to the age whre he will want to have a friend sleep over. When my boys were small, one of them had a loft bed with the lowere bed at a right angle to the top. The as a desk unit that then used the space under the top bunk.

Mark