Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Remembering to de-tension your bandsaw Blade

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Trinh View Post
    I'd rather replace a tire on purpose than a good blade on accident when forgetting to re-tension .
    I can't imagine that you've ever replaced band saw tires by yourself, or paid someone else to do it, if you believe that. I mean, how much does a new blade cost? And anyway, de-tension in the evening and re-tension in the morning, like turning the lights off then on, make it a habit like putting on your seatbelt. Not difficult.

I sent my wheels back to Oliver to have the tires replaced, and among their general advice with the return shipment was to slack off the blade daily, so I did. I don't know about the metal issues, but I've seen a lot of band saw tires with grooves worn into them.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Lindley
    Detensioning causes lots of adjustments to need resetting all over again.
    A well set-up saw shouldn't need multiple adjustments when re-tensioning, or at least mine never did.

That's useful, Frank . But they could have already told you in the owners manual! Might be one of those things where all manufacturers think detensioning is a good idea but don't want to lose sales by "being more trouble than the one at Harbor Freight"!

Never did have an owner's manual; I believe it was from the 1940s and I bought it around 1981 or 1982.

I have a 14" Beaver 3300, I think it's either a 1947 or 48, I know it's not a '49. Since '72 I've only detensioned it to change bands. I don't think the previous owners detensioned either.

Thanks for reply ,Frank. Hope others who have manuals will check and report. I do think that ease of use and low maintenance are now valued above any consideration of longevity and that current marketing and manuals for most goods reflect that. I can remember old car manuals that listed stuff to do every 100,000 miles! Many of us in seeking help from factory reps have heard maintenance tips not found in print.

Ok, why not?...I'll chime in. I have detensioned because I read that you're supposed to but forget most of the time. I think it probably stretches the blades more than harms the machine and could contribute to blade failure. I've had a blade break in the machine before and it about scared the bejeebus out of me.
    That said, I tend to agree it's urban myth...and just had a bad weld on a blade.

My simplicity snow blower uses 3 or 4 springs under extremely high pressure, and they are never detensioned. I had 1 spring break in 25 years use, and it was very hard to replace, as the tension was so great.
    As for valve springs in cars, the steels today are so much better the the steels of yester year. And the heat from the engine is doing more damage to the older springs then the tension under being compressed.
    The 14" band saws don't create enough pressure to damage the castings let alone the materials used today for tires.
    If I had a carbide blade on a 20 inch band saw I might detension it, as the pressure is a bit higher.
    If your stretching a band saw blade by leaving it under tension then I would be using less pressure on that band saw.