Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ciipped Corner.. Octagon Pedestal.. Break-fast Nook Table...

Ciipped Corner.. Octagon Pedestal.. Break-fast Nook Table...

Ater posting 14 carcass projects after I retired almost 4 years ago... I took 10 months off and haven't been around in awhile.. My wife ask for a new break-fast nook table a month ago so I turned the lights back on in the shop and went to work. I had odds and ends of QSWO left over and decided to mix & match as well as could be done.. so this is simply a functional piece not intended to attempt to dazzle.. What you see is what you get you from left overs of many projects. She didn't put my bags in the drive-way so I suppose she likes it OK.. haha
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

That's not too bad at all for a pile of scrap wood. I really like how substantial the pedestal and legs feel.

Thanks Bobby... the top is 1 3/8" thick so it weighs around 80 pds so... the 8 sides of the octagon pedestal are 1 1/1/8" thick. Glued at 22 1/2 degrees of course but splined full length with 3/8" hard maple splines glued into 3/4' deep trenches. The legs are 2 3/4" wide and I oriented before making the curve cuts so that long grain is supportive horizonally..

Split tenons 1 3/8" thick x 5" long glued through the mortices in the sides then I used a draw tenon on the remaining tenon that extends through. So.. all said I think the legs and pedestal strenght is more than sufficient and I would be highly suprised if they were to break. It would be more likely the glue turns loose in 100 years or so but the back-up pinned draw tenon should stop the leg from withdrawing from the pedestal. I have always thought things through to go heavy duty while maintaining balance in the piece. Whatever that means.... haha

Again... thank you sir..
    Sarge..

John, that is one nice table. If your wife don't like it just send it to me. I was wondered what happen to you. I took some time off of woodworking also. I built a nite stand out of walnut for a friend the 1st of Nov. last year and I have just gotten back to do a few things the 1st. of June this year. I think I forgot a lot too. I am glad your back.

Carl L. Goff

Blog Entries
    Beautifully functional. How does it feel to get back to the chips and shavings? Looks like it feels pretty good.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Good to see there is more dust coming from your shop Sarge. Nice work on the table sir... And bonus points you got this one made from odds and ends.
    Last edited by gary Zimmel; 06-11-2011 at 10:59 AM.

Very very nice scrap furniture John! We have come to expect quality from you and even after a 10 month hiatus you haven't lost the touch.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Very nice John

Much thanks to Carl.. Glenn.. Gary and Ken for your comments. Nice to see you old timers still around and contributing.. It was nice to get back to the shop after a fall and winter lay-off. I stained and re-caulked my house last fall then painted the entire inside including ceilings so the fall was taken. I had no major priorities so I did absolutely nothing during the winter.

I enjoyed getting back in the shop but it has gotten extremely hot down south as most of the nation. After one day I am bored already so I should kick into gear on something else within days. A lady friend of my wife has ask if I can do a bed for her and my SIL had already requested a piece if I ever finished up in my house. After 14-15 (can't remember exactly) my house is almost full of new carcass pieces so I might just do what I have basically never done before.... build for friends and relatives just for fun.. haha

Again...thanks guys for your input and a pleasure to have spoken to some of the old crew that has been around awhile... Take care and hope to see ya soon... )
    Sarge..

Thanks Howard.. I was posting to several others when you posted and just caught yours b-4 logging off and getting back to Hockey.. )
    Sarge..

Functional beauty...to paraphrase Glenn.

Sarge, it's pretty obvious your skills didn't erode over the past ten months. That's a well designed and crafted piece, especially nice since it is from "scrap" wood. If only my scraps could be put to such good use. Well done.
    Last edited by Cody Colston; 06-12-2011 at 12:58 AM. Reason: added an "n" to Glen.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Thanks Cody... Perhaps I should explain my use of "scrap" by substituting the word "left-overs" as that would be a better description. When I purchase QSWO I order so X amount of bd. ft. in the morning and pick it up after noon. In the case of my local supplier (Suwanee Lumber) this is not stocked in their normal bins as most other hardwoods but they have it down the hill in their warehouse. So... you cannot spend the day picking individual boards as 95% of their other species.

What you get is seen after the fact. On average 70% of what I order is usable that project as some will be typical QS speck but you will generally get a few boards of darker heart-wood with no basic fleck and long heavy grain. I generally order more than I need as I get QSWO at $4.20 a bd. ft. and most other suppliers that allow you to chose here in Atlanta price it at almost $7 a bd. ft. That is out of budget for a retired on a retiree's budget in my case so....

After about 3-4 projects I end up with significant heartwood and shorts of medium to heavy flecked as generally thought of for QSWO. The trick is to find a project to try to blend the two grades into using what you have on hand. This to me has become somewhat of a skill in itself. If I had un-limited funds to go out daily and pick a board here or there before every starting a project I could probably end up with some very eye dazzling pieces. But... most of us simply can't afford the time or money. I have the time retired but not the money on our budget as the winning lotto ticket hasn't shown up yet. haha

So... in my case "scrap" is not necessarily cast off or inferior wood but simply "left-overs" with various shades.. grain.. fleck or lack of.. a knot here or there to be worked around..etc. I think the word scrap can be somewhat decieving so this has been an attempt to enligthten as to what was actually used. The bottom line in my case is it was just culled out in previous projects attempting to get a certain look. But being the frugul WW I am... it ain't getting donated to anyone's fireplace.. )))

Ya'll have a great day...
    Sarge..

Nothing like turning a pile of scrap wood into a beautiful project Sarge. Very nice work.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Thanks Gordon... I'm already bored and ready to start a new project.. I suppose it is just in my blood.. haha
    Sarge..

Great table John, all the small details are really pleasing to the eye. Makes it stand out. I'm sure your wife is really happy with it.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.