Thread: Wiring for a Bandsaw

Wiring for a Bandsaw

I finally decided on the bandsaw and picked the B24. Talking with Jesse at Eagle, he mentioned that other owners are tripping 20 and possible 30A breakers. Was wondering if others had noticed this as I'm doing the wiring this coming week in prep for delivery and want to have the wiring and breaker sized correctly -- will be on a dedicated circuit.

Thanks!

Lou, each incidence of tripping a 30A breaker while starting a 4.8 Hp. 230v single-phase motor would have to be examined separately. I was unable to find the Kw or amperage of Agazzanni's 4.8 Hp single-phase motor, but will assume it is in the 20A range. A 30A breaker with 10-3 copper should provide adequate service, if the circuit run is not overly-long. That is what I have for my 5 Hp. Quincy compressor. (no trips)

If you want to do it right the first time around, ramp up to a 40A circuit with 8-3 copper, with appropriate 50A connectors. (there are no 40A connectors)

Enjoy your Agazzanni !!

~Chip~
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Bandsaws have really high start up amperage until the wheels get turning so it would be no surprise if a 20 amp breaker went but 30 doesn't seem like it should pop unless the run is really long. Breakers don't work as well as time delay fuses in a cutoff box so it is possible. I ran no 8 wire around the shop and branch off periodically with fused disconnects to allow for not only different sized machines but the ability to change my mind and move them around. If the FLA are in the low 20's a no 10 with a 30 amp breaker should work. Dave