Thread: Table Saw Dust Collection

Table Saw Dust Collection

Are there any tips on dust collection for a contractors saw (Delta 34-440)? I have a 4" dust port in a flat panel attached to the bottom of the saw. It doesn't work very well. I do have good suction. Do I have to enclose the back? What about covering all the other openings? I am on a limited budget which is also why I have a contractors saw.

Thanks

If the flat panel, tapered down to the 4" opening, that would help. Enclosing the back prevents stuff from being thrown out the back of saw. But DC's depend upon large volumes of air to work, so sealing the saw may not be the best idea. A blade cover would be more effective. You could use the "tie bars" to support it. But this would only work when the blade is at ninety degrees to the table. Some of the early Delta 9" saws had a guard located in front of the blade (below the table.)

Bruce has some good info for you. Where do you think you are losing the battle? Is it debris on top of the saw? If so the overhead pickup that will double as a guard is the way to go. Are you getting a lot of build up in the base of the saw? Then sloping the walls down to the duct would definitely help. My Ridgid contractor saw's factory dust collection shroud under the saw slopes down, but still leaves a 1 1/2" lip inside the "cabinet" where dust collects. I've thought about cutting some 2X4s at an angle top fit in there, but it really hasn't been that big of a problem. As Bruce said, definitely do NOT close off the entire base of the saw. I did enclose most of the rear on mine, but left all other openings alone. Find some magnetic material, like an old magnetic sign from the side of a vehicle, and play with closing off parts of the saw, and go from there. Easy to adjust. Monitor where the dust is going, then attack that spot. Spend a little time with some scrap 1/4" ply to make the sloping pick up, or see what is available online or at a local woodworking store and wait for it to go on sale. It eventually will. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.