Thread: d. r. barton hand planes?

d. r. barton hand planes?

Hello everyone, was just wondering if d r barton from rochester ny made hand planes I have just picked one up, it also has 1832 stamped on it. thanks Jay

They made very good blades for planes and chisels...
    I think 1892 is there trademark not year it was made..

I seen a webpage that should all the different logos and age of them if I find it I post a link..
    aka rarebear - Hand Planes 101 - RexMill - The Resource

They made very good planes as well. I have a razee style jack plane that is excellent and, until very recently, I owned a toted DR Barton moving filletster plane, which was also excellent.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

I have a couple of Barton moulding planes. Nicest wood of all my half set of hollow and rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by jay st clair View Post
    Hello everyone, was just wondering if d r barton from rochester ny made hand planes I have just picked one up, it also has 1832 stamped on it. thanks Jay
    dragging out the 4th edition Pollak book...

D.R. Barton was founded in 1832 by David Barton, who moved to Rochester in 1826 to learn nailmaking. Over the years it became a large operation, with over 190 employees by 1870. In 1865 the name changed from D.R. Barton to D.R Barton & Co. with Royal and William Mack as additional partners. Somewhere between 1874 and 1879 the business was sold in receivership to Mack & Co.

If the maker's mark on the toe of the plane is D.R. Barton Rochester N.Y. in an oval, with 1832 in the middle, then it dates from 1874 or later. Various forms of D.R. Barton Rochester were used in the early decades. Other undated versions of D.R. Barton & Co. Rochester N.Y. were used from 1865 to 1923.

Thanks for the replies, of course my next question is how should I clean this plane up with out ruining it. The blade is rusty and the wood is quite dusty and dirty. Thanks Jay

Hate bumping an old thread but since this was the first link I found while trying to figure out more about a chisel I picked up I thought I'd come back full circle and make it easier for the next fool.

Dating the logo