Thread: Finished building workbench .. pics..

Finished building workbench .. pics..

I seem to have finished building my new bench today..

This bench is Eastern Maple and Sapelli. The Sapelli was left over stock that was sitting in my garage for the last couple years.. figured I would use it up ..

The bench is 39-1/2 deep.. It serves as an outfeed table as well, and I am quite tall.. I read countless threads on benches, but my gut feeling was that I wanted a big bench top..

There are 12 drawers.. The drawers are all dovetailed, maple boxes.. with BB Bottoms.. I went with 24" full extension slides because of the overhang on the front.. The drawer fronts are made from scraps of Sapelli and Wenge ..

I got those handles for a buck a piece .. dead stock sale..

I ended up installing a Lee Valley tail vise.. (twice) .. lol That piece of maple actually came as stock for the top.. So I put it aside and used it for the front rail.. Its not the fanciest figure, but it was sold as regular 8/4 stock..

The bench top is 2-3/4 and the skirt is 5-1/2 "

I am still installing dividers in drawers.. so I suppose its not quite finished..

The Tail vise is awesome.. I highly recommend one.. I thought it over and over and decided that 99% of the clamping I would do was going to be handled best by a tail vise..

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Fisher View Post
    I am still installing dividers in drawers.. so I suppose its not quite finished..
    Pfft.

I'll withhold my comments until you're actually done.

Just kidding. Wow, now THAT is a beautiful bench. I'd be afraid to use it.

Nice piece of work, there.

Drawers under the bench are really handy, and you're are robust.

Have you put anything under the feet, to keep moisture out of the base?

Any chance you could upload your pics to SMC. I can't see them at all.

Great looking bench!

nice looking bench, you should post this on the neander side as well.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

Gorgeous! How are you adjusting/leveling the bench to serve as an outfeed surface, or did you just build it to the appropriate height?

I just built it the appropriate height.. lol

I am 6'2 and actually have my cabinet saw up on blocks to be 1-1/2" higher.. I would rather adjust the saw than the bench.. Quite sure this bench is coming up on 600 lbs..

Drawers under the bench where a must for me.. One of the reasons I went with a tail vise... Gotta say.. building the cabinet and all the drawers was really monontous work.. glad its done..

Looking good!

I like it!

I like big benches as well. My main bench is 4'x7' with a steel substructure to make sure it stays flat. I can make a door on the bench and not worry about it. Running stock I have room behind the fence to pile stock already cut. Its on wheels so after the stock is sawn I can wheel it to the next machine with the stock on top, saves handling. I have drawers on both sides like yours, with a pair of Record vises on one side. I left a 6"deep overhang on both ends for clamping, and use that space under to have air tool racks/chisel holders so they are always handy. You will be happy with the big bench.

Very nice job. Enjoy!

Larry

Wow, just beautiful! Something to be proud of for sure.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Larry, I totally agree.. The reason I like a big bench is that I love to stack everything I need on the bench, and still have room.. lol

I need to attach 110V to this bench.. My old bench had 110V Plug in's just under the bench top.. Turns out I cant live without that feature..

I need to build a new SCMS workstation next..

That is one heckuva bench! I love the maple, great subtle figuring.

Rick,

That is a great looking bench. I like a wide bench. You did an outstanding job.

Sam