Thread: 1952 Delta Unisaw

1952 Delta Unisaw

I just bought a 1952 Delta Unisaw. The saw itself needs minor work except the motor. The owner told me the motor brushes need to be replaced but I don't know where to go. I called Delta machinery (3 times) and never got a customer service rep to pickup the phone even after waiting for more than 20 minutes.

Well , the motor will start-up and run fine sometimes but sometimes it will just sit there and hum. From what I can see this motor does not have a starting capacitor, therefore that theory is out of the question.

Any of you have an older model Unisaw with this type of problems and if so what's your suggestion.

Please advise!

Brushes?? Induction motors don't have brushes and in theory, the motor on your saw "should" be an induction motor. ("Universal" motors that do have brushes are screamers...) You might consider having a local motor shop look at yours to see why it's inconsistant in starting.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Try blowing the sawdust out.

I had an old jointer, you wouldn't believe how much sawdust came out of that motor. I think the pile was as big as the motor. Then it ran fine.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

Jim, call it what you'd like but this motor has two brushes or whatever the technical name might be. There is one on each side of the motor. I can tell you this since I took a two small covers of each side of the motor and there they were. Each one has a spring loaded latch hold it in place with a lead passing current to it. You can even see some small flashing as the motor turns.

This actually the original motor. I went to OWWM.com this evening and saw quite a few of this saws with exact identical motor.

Please somebody tell me I'm not crazy!

Thumbs up Your Not Crazy

I'm not surprised that an early fifties motor has brushes. This is an Repulsion -induction motor. At the time these were made, they were considered the Cadillac of single phase motors. As has been already mentioned, a thorough cleaning is in order for this motor and will probably cure your intermittant problem.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Juan Rivera
    I just bought a 1952 Delta Unisaw. The saw itself needs minor work except the motor. The owner told me the motor brushes need to be replaced but I don't know where to go.

Please advise!
    Do a search for oldwoodworking machines, there are a group of guys who run that web site, they can help you out. A number of them have the older Unisaws with induction/replusion motors, and yes, they do use brushes.

David.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Dixon
    I'm not surprised that an early fifties motor has brushes. This is an Repulsion -induction motor. At the time these were made, they were considered the Cadillac of single phase motors. As has been already mentioned, a thorough cleaning is in order for this motor and will probably cure your intermittent problem.
    Jason, Steve, et al...Interesting! Thanks for the explaination...I had never heard of this type of motor and apologize for the fact.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have a 1953 unisaw with one of those motors and I had mine rebuilt at a local electric motor shop. They were common years ago and will provide as much torque as the new higher horsepower motors.

I would first blow air through that motor as the problem could simply be dust in the contacts... If that doesnt' work, then I guess it's off to the shop.

If you want more commentry on my rebuild, drop me a note.

Thanks
    Joe in Tampa...

Thanks guys! By the way Joe, if you can get me more information on your rebuild I'd appreciated. I tryed blowing compressed air but no improvement, therefore it's shop time for this one. A buddy of mine who use to work on electric motors looked at it and suggested the commutator needs resurfacing if possible and new brushes for sure. Any idea if this the same procedure you had on your rebuild?

Thanks again guys!

Juan,

Sent you a PM about my motor. resurfacing the commutator is a piece of cake for most any motor shop. I would let them tear it down, and re assemble it as well.

That motor is "very valuable" for reasons I can go through if we meet. You're in ORl and I'm in Valrico, not far from you at all. I'll be in ORl next week if you want to meet for b'fast or lunch. I'll take you through it. IF you need help tearing it down or re assembling, let me know.

There is a web site chocked with guys who do nothing but salivate of rebuilding that old stuff. I like it as well.

Instead of painting mine, I had it powder coated. Even had the cranks and handles chromed. Looks awsome and someday I'll actually have the time to finish re assembly and cut wood with it.

Gotta go, sat am tennis lessons for the kids. Send me an email.

Tks
    Joe in Tampa

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Scarfo
    There is a web site chocked with guys who do nothing but salivate of rebuilding that old stuff. I like it as well.
    What's the website address????
    ---------------------------------------
    James Krenov says that "the craftsman lives in a
    condition where the size of his public is almost in
    inverse proportion to the quality of his work."
    (James Krenov, A Cabinetmaker's Notebook, 1976.)

I guess my public must be pretty huge then.

Your saw is likely still supported by Delta. Suggest you try the brushes first before attempting motor rebuild. Go to http://www.deltawoodworking.com/index.asp?e=132
    and get the illustrated parts breakdown, find the part number, lookup the price at same web site, then call Delta Parts at 800.223.7278. Wait however long it takes for them to come to the phone (get a book to read). Order parts.

I just did this to get brushes and few other things for my 1963 Rockwell, which Delta supports. Alternatively, you can take the old brushes to a local motor rebuild shop in your area .. I also received replacements that way.

Luck,
    Richard

Well I did finally reach Delta yesterday after a half an hour wait but it did'nt pay off since they don't support any parts for those motors according to the customer support person. I did get a manual for a 1985 model for which they claim the parts are identical except the motor.

By the way Joe thanks for the info and let me know when your in town next week. By that time I should have this motor running if the motor shop can fix it.
    Thanks again!

Motor shop won't have a pblm getting it going... I'm confident of that.

I'd post the web site here but I don't think it's allowed.

Do a search for Old Woodworkign Machines... it'll come up for sure...

Tks
    Joe