Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My name is John, and I misuse tools...

Not sure if this was mentioned but I use rubber scrapers (spatulas...made of soft rubber for kitchen...useful for removing all the batter from the bowl) to facilitate the same idea only with paint and finishes. I just buy my own rather than upset the LOML.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    That makes you wish they were made of rubber (the chainsaws) after you find out how much damage they take. Hope it wasn't an XP or an MS660 or something!
    It is an XP. But to its credit, all it needs is a new handle. Well, it does have a few "Character" marks.....

At the end of a great day of making sawdust I lean back in my chair and use the work bench to set my wine glass on ......just sippin' and dreamin'...
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

Paint brushes make great dusters..... and my shop vac is usually the blower to get the wood chips out of the shop. Easier than vacuuming them up and then emptying them into the compost.....
    It ain't quite rocket science, but sometimes it sure feels like it!

ice picks - start screw holes, small drift punch, scribe, clean small holes
    dishwasher for cleaning stuff - no recommended for married guys
    I'm a Creeker, yes I m.
    I fries my bacon in a wooden pan.

I have an enormous pair of Channel-lock pliers that often get used as a Crescent wrench, a hammer, an oil filter remover, and a home invasion deterrent.

Everyone needs that enormous pair of channel locks. I call mine the persuader!

Quote Originally Posted by Max Coller View Post
    I've used my dust collector as a wasp collector... I enjoy the "Oh Crap" look on their angry little faces as they approach the event horizon.
    Too funny, Max!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    I use a screwdriver to open paint cans...you and I may not have a problem with that, but to a painter, it is like nails on a chalkboard.
    Interesting. What should one use to open a paint can?

PJS

I have a pocket knife and the blade is getting shorter all the time and has to be reground. It happens mostly when I use it on Philip screws
    Last edited by Keith Harrell; 06-18-2011 at 12:11 PM.

I use and icepick to push small pieces of wood through the table saw. It never slips.

I like nice looking tools so my tendency to abuse them is very limited. But as long as it doesn't disfigure the tool, wouldn't hesitate to use it for any other purpose. Does clamping a plane in the vice and dragging the piece of wood over it qualify? Or how about using my plane irons to cleanly cut veneers with a tap of a hammer?

To spread epoxy or any glue, I cut strips of clear plastic bubble packaging (from the back, flat side) with scissors. Makes great throw away applicators in any size needed. So save your bubble packs! They're good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Rabbett View Post
    I use and icepick to push small pieces of wood through the table saw. It never slips.
    I've done that; I think I read it was an old pattern maker's trick. I've also nailed a 4p finish nail into the end of a dowel, cut it off to about 3/4" long and sharpened the end, for the same purpose.