Thread: Self centering bits - Rockler vs VIX?

Self centering bits - Rockler vs VIX?

Rockler has a special going on right now $13.99 for a three bit set of self centering bits & also free shipping for a limited time.

I have or should say I had a Ryobi that suddenly flew out of my hand one day and ended up in the field behind the house. Darndest thing I ever did see. One second I'm using it to butcher some hinge holes & the next thing it's flying through the air headed for the field.
    (It would have travelled farther - but - I don't throw as hard as I used to years ago . )

I picked up a Hitachi #5/#6 at Lowes last week & it seems to do a fair job.

I've been waiting for Hartville Hdwe. to run a sale on the real VIX bits,,,but,,,who knows when that'll happen.

The Rockler sale seems to be a good deal - but - only if the bits are decent.
    Anyone use the Rockler ones?

I've never used the Rockler's, but I own and use several other Vix knock-offs. The knock offs are all usable, but no where as smooth as my Vix. I have a couple of Vix from the 80's, and they still work great.

I have the Rockler ones, only used a few times, but they seem to work just fine...

I just bought the Rockler ones but haven't used them yet. They seem to be just fine. It will be several weeks before I get to the point in my project where need them.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I have the Rocklers. Seem fine also. Never used the Vix, however.

Bought a set of these 8 or 9 years ago, and have hung a truck load of doors using them. On sale for 7 bucks.
    Last edited by Mike Harrison; 06-15-2011 at 12:23 AM.
    Mike Harrison

I have both. The USA made Vix bits are better, seem to plug up a lot less, and I have some that have been in use for 25 years. If you are a homeowner I guess you could get by with the imports just fine though.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    I have both. The USA made Vix bits are better, seem to plug up a lot less, and I have some that have been in use for 25 years. If you are a homeowner I guess you could get by with the imports just fine though.

Larry
    Pretty good assessment. I bought a set of 3 from MLCS. They look identical to Mike's above. They work but don't clear chips well so the sliding center guide will sometimes stick in the retracted position and I have to work it a time or two to get the chips out. They're fine for a half dozen holes a day or so. If I used 'em a lot I'd want better.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 06-15-2011 at 8:45 AM.

I agree. The Rockler's do plug easily.

Can't comment on any of the others, but I purchased the VIX brand bits based on the idea they plug less. I don't know how much other brands plug up, but mine plug every single time on hard maple. Pain in the butt to clear them. Haven't tried them on other woods.

I have the Dewalt vix bit kit. It has a barrel with an open end that a double ended insert goes into. Vicks on one side phillips on the other. You pull a barrel down to release the head. I think it is the slickest thing since sliced bread. Easy to release and flip head. You can do it one handed if need be. Way quicker than changing bits.

I hold that helps.

Quinn

Never used VIX, but I have the Rockler set. They're OK, as others indicate, but my biggest issue with them has been that sometimes the tip of the bit seems to get stuck and I have to bear down a bit harder than you'd expect to get the sheath to retract and expose the bit. When you have to do that there's a greater chance that you'll push the tip out of center. If I used them a lot I'd look for a better brand.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

Blog Entries
    The VIX bits are nice but, I am still using a set of the Rockler ones I got 5 or 6 years ago. I think they were about $10 then. The drills are replaceable with standard jobber length bits or you can buy the special flat sided ones. I've only replaced one of the smaller bits once with whatever I had sharp, handy and the right size and its been in there ever since. Very handy for me.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Tip: Keep a can of TopCote handy and spray them once in a while, helps with the chip clearance.

Thanks all - I ordered the Rockler set. We'll see how they do.
    I don't need to use them all that often, so, I'm probably all set.