Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stupid and dangerous tool use.

That shopsmith photo is downright scary. Besides the danger of the top half of the sheet falling off who knows where, I shudder at the thought of walking past a naked horizontal saw blade....
    I wonder how many folks had accidents with this setup?
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    I drilled a hole in the side of the house once w/a .44Magnum when the cable guy's drill quit on him.
    How many beers in were ya?

How many beers in were ya?
    LOL! That's usually the way us "bubbas" do things eh?

Honestly?
    I'd been on the wagon @ that point for a good number of years. Hadn't touched a drop for at least 5 that I'm sure of.

I do have to admit though, that as sensational as it sounds, the devil is in the details.
    There was a railroad tie for a backstop and several feet of earth behind that. Behind all that was about 30 miles of semi frozen Lake Erie.
    The slug made it through the wall of the house & stuck inside the railroad tie.

Shapers were nearly my undoing several times. Before I learned what a solid fence or rub collar were for, or had a clue about coping sleds, I was spinning a large setoff insert knives with the fence opened way up to allow the cutter head to spin. Heck, I had free handed copes on e router plenty of times with just a backer push block! Ripped the darn rail right out of my hands, broke the knives, bent the spindle, wet my pants, I dove left, the knives flew right, I still haven't found all the pieces.

So I got a feeder to work safer eventually, because I care about my safety. I was milling some maple door parts, and they were blowing out bad. Better switch to a climb cut, that's easy with a shaper. Stiles passed fine, most of the rails passed fine, then I got to a set of three short rails.That little voice that whispers "THIS IS REALLY STUPID DONT DO IT!" could not be heard clearly over my zelousness to finish the job which was going so well now. I never measured the distance between wheels to realize only one wheel would be touching at a time, nor did I notice the wheels were covered in slick maple shavings from climb cutting. I pushed the rails in back to back, and as soon as I let go of the last one they shot out, one two three, each slamming into the next like pool balls, and shattered into the concrete wall 25' away. Not. 45', but I still shot a wall!
    Last edited by Peter Quinn; 06-15-2011 at 8:30 PM.