Thread: Table Saw Safety is Highlighted in Business Week Magazine

Table Saw Safety is Highlighted in Business Week Magazine

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...ics+%2B+policy

This week's Business Week magazine has a major article on the table saw safety debate and mentions that the Consumer Product Safety Commission will take up the idea that the government should legislate additional safety devices such as the Sawstop cartridge. I have linked the article without further comment.

Paul

Blog Entries
    Its founder, Stephen Gass, an inventor and—importantly—a patent lawyer, likes to demonstrate his product by pushing a hot dog into a whirring blade. The weenie comes away with barely a scratch.
    I found this grammer ambiguity somewhat amusing... the ambiguity obviously being Mr. Gass being the possible weenie
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    I found this grammer ambiguity somewhat amusing... the ambiguity obviously being Mr. Gass being the possible weenie
    Yes, there REALLY was alot to read into that one sentence for how they worded it.........

Folks,

I will remind everyone that this website it viewable by people of all age. We cannot control the viewers....we can control what is posted here. Please show a little self discipline and stop the slightly off colored references.

They are not apprpriate at this website.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I just want to know what safety guards Chris Hackler removed from the saw before dimensioning his fingers. How exactly are your fingers "yanked into the spinning blade" when using proper technique, push sticks and safety guards? I don't understand how a jammed piece of wood yanks anything. Might cause a kickback, but that won't yank any fingers toward the blade.

Blog Entries
    Heh-heh. I find it interesting that one of the complaints is that Mr. Gass has apparently come up with the ONLY decent way to do this sort of thing. Where would the aerospace, automotive or computing industries be if they all thought the first workable good idea was the last?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler