Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bird's Eye & Ebony Humidor....

Blog Entries

Bird's Eye & Ebony Humidor....

I had a lot of fun with this one.... A lot of "modifications" during the work in progress, as my client kept asking... "can you do this, can you do that".....

Built the thing with just the ebony base.... which is 1/2 of what you're looking at... then my client said... can you put in a drawer.... so.... came the bottom apron with the drawer, flocked with black flocking fibers... and the legs to lift it off the ground a bit....

Had a tough time thinking through the legs.... since the box was already built... I would have normally mortised them in to the base... but, in this case... I mortised out a notch in the corner... drove a couple of screws in to them from the inside (prior to lining with the cedar)... and used epoxy.... they aren't moving anywhere....

Then....the idea for a two way mirror came up.... and the cigar band inlay surrounding it....

Then.... my client wanted the slats on the trays to alternate between dark & light spanish cedar....

It was a fun build..... and certainly had it's challenges....

Ed,

Beautiful work. I wish I had the talent for it.
    May all your turnings be smooth,

Brodie Brickey

These just keep on getting better and better Ed. Nice work on elevating it and getting the drawer in.
    The top with the two way mirror and banding make this one stand out.
    Sweet work again Ed. I'm sure your customer is real pleased with it.

Ed,

Great job!

My poor cigars sit in a plastic container.

I showed it to my wife. She wanted a picture of the quilt. ;-)

Bill

Great work.

That's awesome, I love that bird's eye!

Very nice. How much did that ebony cost ??? I know it's veryyyyyyyyy expensive !!
    MARK

Very nice Ed, very nice indeed. I gotta be honest - I think this might be your best piece yet.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
    -Bill Watterson

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
    -W. C. Fields

Beautiful work Ed. I'm sure your client was thrilled with this humidor.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Beautiful work on the humidor. I need to get started on my own as I am still using an el-cheapo to store my stogies.

11. Stunning work Ed! The wood selection is very striking.

Just amazing Ed. You seem to crank these out in no time at all. Maybe I;m just much slower than most. The wood is stunning and compliments each other perfectly.

I would love to see a shot from above looking straight down, to catch more of the banding and mirror on the lid.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Shea View Post
    I would love to see a shot from above looking straight down, to catch more of the banding and mirror on the lid.
    She's all taped up and getting her lacquer finish at the moment.... but, when she's done, I'll be sure to put some more pics up....

Amazing... I've been building quite a few myself lately and your work gives me something to aspire to. Just beautiful...

Ed you do amazing work, I always enjoy seeing it on Puff. It's nice to see it over here as well.