Thread: New Arrow Pencil

New Arrow Pencil

Everyone,

Last night I built a couple of arrow pencils. One is for my uncle, one is for the person who gave me the arrows.

I cut the feathers off of the arrow, by cutting the arrow, just above the logo. Then, using a previous pencil I made, I measured how long the whole arrow should be. I cut the arrow to length. Then I glued in the tubes that came with the pencil kit, one in each end. Finally, I assembled the pencil as you normally would. It went pretty quickly..

Here are the results:
    Last edited by Jeff Sudmeier; 02-13-2005 at 12:11 PM.

Great idea, something to do with the pile of bent arrows in the basement. Where'd the kits come from?

I got the kits from PSI. Just the standard slimline....

Jeff, what size shaft do you need to do that... I have a buddy that is a professional field shooter and I would love to make a pen and pencil set for him...
    Tom Mullane
    Hagerstown, MD
    If you work with your hands you are a laborer
    If you work with your hands and head you are a craftsmwn
    If you work with your hands, head and heart you are an artist

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mullane
    Jeff, what size shaft do you need to do that... I have a buddy that is a professional field shooter and I would love to make a pen and pencil set for him...
    Tom, That is a good question. I have only made a couple of these, so I have only encountered one Shaft Size. This size just happens to be the same OD as the pen parts...The inside diamater is a little large for the tubes, but some thick CA clears that right up. The trick is to get the brass tubes centered in the arrow.

Tom,
    Looks like the pic is gone now but ,if I remember from looking yesterday,the shaft was an Easton gamegetter II in the size of 2117.
    The size designation is;
    first #"s 21 this is the outside diameter to the nearest 64th of an inch
    second #'s 17 this is the wall thickness in thousanths of an inch
    They manufacture shafts in many,many,many combinations of the two variables from as small as a 1716 up to a 2613 if I remember correctly.
    The shafts will come at different price points as well that are determined by the straightness of the shaft.
    This is probably way too much info, but, I hope it helps.
    Scott

Scott, welcome to Saw Mill Creek!! Thank you very much for the information. It looks like the ideal size arrow would be something with a 21 or there abouts to start and a thicker wall. As I said, the tubes fit loosely, so I had to use thick CA to center them. A thicker wall, bigger last two numbers would make it easier.

Also, I forgot to mention, that to make it easier in centering the tubes, I pressed on the tip to the tube before gluing and inserting it. THis way I could move the tube around and get the tip perfectly placed, I did the same thing with the clip.

Jeff, did you notice if there was much of a step at the tip and end of the pencil... just curious since it really can't be seen in the photo.. going to have to measure some tips and see what they come out at and then go to the Easton Archery site to see what sizes are available... If I remember correctly there is also a 22 series size of shafts..
    Scott, thanks for the info, I remembered all that after the fact.. LOL.. being a traditional archer I only shoot wood shafts...
    Tom Mullane
    Hagerstown, MD
    If you work with your hands you are a laborer
    If you work with your hands and head you are a craftsmwn
    If you work with your hands, head and heart you are an artist