Thread: Osage Orange Source???

Question Osage Orange Source???

Hey guys,
    I have used the last piece of osage orange that I had stashed away. I had this tree milled over 10 years ago. I have been looking for more but I just can't find any. Does anyone know where I might be able to get some stock from?

Jeff Hamilton
    Last edited by Jeff Hamilton; 06-22-2011 at 9:17 PM.
    Jeff Hamilton Maker of Fine Marking Gauges

How much and what sizes are you looking for? That is, are you looking for turning stock or material to build furniture?

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 06-22-2011 at 7:27 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I would love to get some 5/4 stock flat sawn or if i can't get that 1/2" thick quarter sawn. I am looking for 5 to 10 board ft.
    Jeff Hamilton Maker of Fine Marking Gauges

Jeff,
    I can get 4/4 stock local to me (shenandoah valley, va) or if you're interested in slabs Exotic Lumber in Gaithersburg, MD had some rather large slabs. If shipping is an option for you I'd be happy to put you in touch with my local mill.

I saw a post Today about someone clearing out their stash of Osage...

The tree ranges widely. We have it here in VA; I've seen it in IL. There seemed to be forests of it in southeast OK when I drove the Indian Nations Turnpike a few years ago. I'll bet there's some growing in your neighborhood.
    My recommendation is to look up sawmiils in the region and start calling them in order of who's closest to you. If rough cuttings will suit you, tree removal companies, firewood sellers and the county landfill are possibilities---unwanted timber has to go somewhere.

BobV

Osage orange originally was limited to the Red River area in Texas/Oklahoma, but both the native Americans and Europeans planted it widely. Farmers used it for fencerows because it grows very quickly and forms a very dense hedge - "Horse high, bull strong and hog tight". If you live an area that once or still does have farms, chances are good that there will be some trees growing near you. You may have to ask around, but I'd bet it wouldn't be difficult to find someone who's recently lost a tree or would be willing to cut one for you - some people don't care for them because they drop those heavy "horse apples" on cars and such, though said apples do a good job repelling mosquitoes and crickets. Here in rural central Illinois the trees are very common, as Bob mentioned above - looking out my window here at work I can see an old fencerow that contains dozens of them (though I really should be working instead of reading SMC ).