Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on Nicholson super shear (curved milled teeth files)

Opinions on Nicholson super shear (curved milled teeth files)

I saw a reference to it in the SMC archives so I thought I'd ask those who have used them and how they found them in use. I need files for saw handles and totes and knobs for hand planes, not having the famed Nicholson 49/50 my option are quiet open. Lately I have been reading about some of these smooth cut shearing type (milled teeth) files, LV sells a couple options one Japanese and one Nicholson. Just wondering how these things perform. The Nicholson super shear has an added advantage of doubling as plane floats.
    Last edited by Zahid Naqvi; 06-22-2011 at 12:17 PM.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

I love mine. They cut like crazy,but for some reason the smallest one they make is never quite sharp like the larger ones are. Of course,these are only made in flat configuration. I mean,these files are so sharp,you can really wear your fingertips out holding onto the front end. Put some masking tape on them! They shear brass like crazy. I wouldn't use mine for steel,as they aren't cheap. A few years ago I bought a Simmonds super shear clone from Travers tool co. It was the same file.

I don't know if you would like their performance on curved surfaces. I HAVEN'T used them that way,but I caution that they might need to be used on relatively flat work to avoid harmonic chattering starting up from too few teeth being engaged in the work. They MIGHT start acting like lead floats.

I don't know anything about the super shear, but when I have done saw and plane handles, I've used the following:

* LV's half round rasp (this isn't needed, it's just faster than the sawmaker's rasp for initial rouging in hard woods)
    * the gramercy sawhandle maker's rasp - this is, to me, the most important of the specialized tools. Not because you can't get along without it, but because of how much easier it makes working on the inside of the handle and fairing the curves after you do your initial roughing (see wenzloff's page about setting up facets so that the curves turn out even, this saves a lot of time and strife)
    * an iwasaki half round file - a small one, but similar to the one LV has there
    * an i-wood diamond japanese saw file - fabulous for cleaning notches and leaving the bottoms of them sharp and pointed. A fine saw file would also be fine for most things and leave a pretty nice surface
    * a simonds fine cut half-round metal file (not a big one, like 8 inches) that is (I could get along without this, it just cleans up a lot from the sanding)
    * a card scraper

And if you're going to be putting defined lines between the curves and the flats, a dowel to wrap sandpaper around.

For bare bones, the gramercy sawmaker's rasp, a half round metal file and a small triangular saw file would get me by. I have a feeling that old sawmakers, if they could only get straight rasps (no idea what convention was) would find someone to bend their rasps for them so that the ends weren't banging into the inside surfaces of the saw handle.

I also use a float to fit the mortise around the spine, but careful chisel work would do the same. A push cheek float is just faster and easier to use.

Dragon rasps

Zahid,
    I know you were looking for opinions on the Nicholsons but you may want to check out the Dragon hand cut rasps. Google dragon hand cut rasps and you'll find a link to Stewart MacDonald. I think they are reasonably priced and the cut wonderfully. I've used them on some saw/plane totes as well as my Maloof rocker and found them to be quite good.
    cheers
    pat

I do hope the Dragon rasps are better that what I got for $1.25 years ago from Wholesale Tool. They were identical to the Dragon rasps. I thought they were sprayed with a LIGHT coat of silver paint,but I guess it was chrome,but terribly thin. You could nearly see through it. Other than that,the rasps were soft as butter. For $1.25,I guess you could just wear them out.

I've heard enough praise of the dragon rasps (at least, the ones Stew Mac sells) from various guitar builders that I'd be apt to think they're probably decent. Stew Mac has certainly been pretty damn good to me as far as returns when the need arises, but it's been a while.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    I do hope the Dragon rasps are better that what I got for $1.25 years ago from Wholesale Tool. They were identical to the Dragon rasps. I thought they were sprayed with a LIGHT coat of silver paint,but I guess it was chrome,but terribly thin. You could nearly see through it. Other than that,the rasps were soft as butter. For $1.25,I guess you could just wear them out.
    I think these are different...they're not sprayed anything at all. I have a couple of those rasps and they cut very well. I only wish the taper wasn't so aggressive, but for some work it's very nice. I wouldn't use them as a general rasp, though, as he taper is far too aggressive, IMHO.

I have a fairly large collection of files, rasps and other shaping tools. I have quite a few of the Iwasaki files...almost all of them except for one or two that I didn't think were useful. I love those files but they take a definite touch and technique to use properly. I wouldn't part with mine.

I have a Vixen file that I love on aluminum but I always thought it was not ideal on wood. Is the Nicholson configured better for wood?

Don't bother with a new 49 or 50...they are NOT at all like the older ones. I currently have a newer one and it is a different animal. I think they sell for what, like $30+ each? Totally not worth it. Maybe a good deal at $5.00 at a garage sale. At $30 or more, I would not waste my money and would just buy a high quality rasp. If it's rasps you want, I think it's difficult to go wrong with Auriou, and maybe the Gramercy ones at Tools For Working Wood.

The super shears have offset teeth which makes a vast difference in them not chattering like a lead float. Their teeth,except for the 8" or 10" one they make(which is ALWAYS dull when new),are exceedingly sharp,and really wear your fingers if you don't tape the front end a little. I have bought 2 or 3 of the small ones,and they are always dull. Maybe the Simonds version might be better in the small size,I haven't tried one of their small ones(IF they even make them small). Not sure if Simonds are still made now. A little Googling would find out.

Edit:The Simonds call their file the "Whizcut". They are in 8" and 10" sizes. They claim that they are super sharp. I do believe that the Whizcut I got from Travers must have been at least a 12" file,though. They want to sell them by the box of 12 on the Simonds sites I went to. Suggest contacting Travers for single files. They MIGHT be about $35.00 each(that is what Nicholsons USED to cost for larger files).

I think Simonds might be Chinese now,but there was nothing wrong with the Simonds I got from Travers.
    Last edited by george wilson; 06-22-2011 at 2:09 PM.

I got my simonds files from ebay, there was a seller on there who had gobs of them, and they were US made. I think I paid about $4 for good half round files. I bought a pile of them.

As mentioned above about the dragon rasps, the taper is drastic and the radius is a bit flat to be ideal for saw work. The nicholson 49/50 (i have one of the new 50s) are also too flat to be used as anything other than a supplement.

last I checked, the gramercy rasp was about $50, and it is worth every penny for this type of work.

George, if I ever come to your shop, I'm bringing some cash to go shopping for rasps, rifflers, needle files and NOS early 1900s metalworking files.

I do not have any auriou rasps because there are some things I just like to do on the cheap..... well, relatively. I can live without them. But I really wish there was an inexpensive source for NOS needle files and larger swiss pattern files. I think I paid $50 for the last two grobet files I got, and there were probably a dozen I'd love to have, but it would've been another $300+ to get the ones I liked.

Travers lists the whizcut for slightly under $20 and US made - I had to check because I was curious. I still haven't gotten a good file from china or india (not something I try to get intentionally, but I have tried a couple of unbranded files from machinist supply places that are about $2 per where the supplier claims they are high quality files, only to find them stamped india or china when I get them and find out they are not sharp enough to work even new).
    Last edited by David Weaver; 06-22-2011 at 2:19 PM.

John,the Dragons could be a different grade of file. They cost what? $40.00? I can't recall offhand. I hope they are better at that price than the same looking rasps I got for $1.25. I would just have case hardened a bunch myself at that price,but not many can manage to do that. Plus,I don't know how the THIN chrome flash plating may have prevented the case from getting through.

Just don't buy the highly touted European made "lifetime" guitar maker's rasps from Luthier's Merchantile. They are soft as butter. I told them so,but it usually does no good. I did case harden the one I bought from them rasther than send it back. They are expensive,and certainly SHOULD have been hardened. Dealing with people who know nothing about tools is frustrating.

Those Chinese files are typical of old time minimalist tool design. Many of their tools are triangular. Chisels,axe heads,and those rasps. It is easy to just chomp out an angled cut to make into a rasp or chisel. I think that is why they look like that. I think they are very ugly,as are many of their traditional tools.

I used to use both the 49/50. But now have a small collection of Auriou rasps, which are handmade (including the teeth, which are individually hand cut), cut beautifully, and are available in many 'grains' (tooth sizes) and shapes--pattern makers, cabinet makers, cranked, etc. They are expensive, but worth every penny. They weren't made for a while a few years ago due to a labor dispute, but they are back in business again. The one place I know they're available is Tools For Working wood (toolsforworkingwood.com). Woodcraft used to carry them until the company stopped making them a few years ago. I've used them for making bows, cabriole legs and general shaping. Auriou is a french company.

They are carried by tons of folks (highland, jww, etc), and the best things carries a line of hand-stitched rasps presumably made by folks who split off from auriou in that whole spat.

Price wise, though, they are a bit over the top for cutting a few saw handles and plane totes, though, and probably more appropriate for someone who is going to use rasps on a regular basis for furniture work. (I'm not really one to talk about spending money on tools that will never pencil out in financial sense, but...).

Assuming someone has standard tools like chisels, planes, etc, excellent saw handle work can be done for about an incremental cost of $70. It's likely that the saw handle maker's rasp will leave you with less to correct and less frustrated than any straight rasp when working in enclosed curves, etc. A straight rasp will be constantly working it's point into an opposing face if you work with some speed in saw handles, putting unwanted dings in.

Those French rasps cost $100-$200 ???

http://www.forge-de-saint-juery.com/..._for_Wood.html

Something like that, though it looks like the common ones (over here) are in the $100-135 range for cabinet rasps.

You would have to go with smaller modelers rasps and cabinet rasps if you wanted to work in the tight curves of a saw handle and furniture work, though.

I looked at the Gramercy and the Dragon, but look really good but pricey at close to $50 or up each. I can probably get two of the Japanese flat cut files from LV for that price. As an occasional handle maker I don't know if it makes sense for someone like me to invest money into specialty tools, I guess I have to accept the consequently longer time it take to accomplish the results. Since when is time spent in the shop a bad thing.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.