Thread: Sort & pre-cut questions - Hickory rough stock

Sort & pre-cut questions - Hickory rough stock

I'm beginning a very large project for me involving 300+ BF of Hickory. My project consists of 25 LF of raised panel wainscot and 75 LF of raised panel & face frame cabinetry. I drive approx 75 miles to the nearest source of hardwood (northern California) The supplier only stocks a unit at a time and it gets picked over until it's gone (six weeks) and then they restock. The boards vary - but average 6"x10'. I estimate I will loose approx two feet of every board to end split and another two feet to other issues. I understand the concept of sorting and marking from a cut list. The issue is in what order do I prioritize the sorting? When I look at "my" stack of lumber and the enormous cut list - where do I start? Finally, is there an issue in pre-cutting from my rough stock and storing for 4-5 weeks?

Hi Steve, in my opinion, you would sort for face frames first, the straighest grain available, then seconds for panels and wainscot.

It is good practise to machine oversize, then let the individual pieces come to an equilibrium before machining into parts..............Regards, Rod.

I agree with Rod to use straight grained material for the framing, but I'd probably sort first for the best looking stuff for the panels. And I agree with you both to machine somewhat oversize and let the material sit for a while to settle down before cutting to final dimension (including thickness planing).