Thread: Framing Started

Framing Started

Well the addition with my dream workshop is proceeding well with most of the main floor external walls done and sheathed with Ύ” plywood. The foundation work was finished a couple of weeks ago and my framing crew started. Really impressed with the care and quality of the crew I hired, they spent the first day grinding any high spots on the foundation, snapping lines to ensure square and doing other prep work before they actually started any framing.

First floor walls.jpg

We had the HVAC company drop the two geothermal units into place in the crawl space before the main floor deck was completed. At 300 and 600 lbs respectively, it was much easier to do this now than to wrestle them down stairs and into access ports in the walls. I have gone with two units for this addition. My workshop will have its own dedicated unit with separate duct work from the rest of the living space so there will not be an issue with dust or fumes, plus it will be quieter this way. I decided on geothermal as I have plenty of space for the required 4,000 feet of tubing and the payback will be roughly 7 years for the system as compared to putting in a natural gas system with aircon.

geothermal units.jpg

This shot shows the open web joists we are using, they are 12” deep, 18 feet long and 16” centers except for a 12 foot area where they are 8” centers. This area will be where I keep my planned 12” jointer and 20” planer. At roughly 1,000 lbs each, I don’t want any bounce when I move them around when they are needed. This is probably over kill but I usually over engineer when building. With the open web joists, running high pressure air, dust collection systems, and under the floor wiring will be much easier. The joists are covered with Ύ” waterproof osb that is glued to the joists. I plan on installing 1*6 red pine on top of the osb across the joists to maximize strength.

reinforced work area.jpg

The second floor joists are spanning 30 feet and 20 feet so they are 16” deep and on 12” centers, once again open web design, they will also covered with Ύ” waterproof osb that is glued to the joists. They are heavy as sin to move around.

top floor.jpg2nd floor sheathing.jpg

Just took this shot of my shop, standing where my back door will be looking to the front. Hard to see, but I have an opening for 10 foot wide by 8 foot high door (will be 5 foot wide double doors that swing out), the actual shop area has 4 windows, the finishing room 3 windows, my office has 2, all of them are 3 foot wide by 4 foot high, 4 feet off the floor, with double French doors into the finishing room and a single French door in my office to maximize the transfer of light through-out the shop.

workshop from back door.jpg

Weather permitting, we should have the second floor framed this week with the roof trusses delivered next week.

Patrick...how big is this shop...looks huge from here.
    Bob C

Hi Bob, the shop is 30*50 with a 10 foot ceiling and it will include a 12*15 dedicated finishing room, small office and seperate dust collection room to limit noise. I have been actively planning it for a year or so but dreaming about it for a long time. Finally coming true!

very cool. mine is in a similar state but it's about 15x40 so a good bit smaller. Right now trying to figure out where to place the equipment.
    Bob C

Very nice looking shop!

I like those open joists. How do the compare to standard joists price wise and load wise. I already have a 20" planer and I too an concerned about weight....

Bryan

Hi Bryan, the cost is more ($70 each vs $50 for 2*12" spruce/fir) but their load bearing ability is substantially more, they are 12" deep and 18'4" long, most are 16" c to c and would probably been fine but I tend to over-engineer when I build. The second floor joists ar 16" deep on 12" c to c but are spanning a full 30', close to their maximum span capacity. All of the floor sheathing is 3/4" T&G special OSB that is very dense and waterproof, it is glued down with two strips of building adhesive on the outside edge of the joist and were power nailed every 6-8". On top of this will go 1*6" red pine t&g for the woorkshop and 1*7 to 1*11" hickory for the living space upstairs. This will be laid down across the joists as well for additional strength. Hope this answers your question.

Wow!!! That looks fantastic!! Congratulations.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps