Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best approach with 7 year old T-12 fixtures?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    Don't know how environmentally friendly it is, but I'd [...] break them up and drop them in the garbage.
    Not at all environmentally friendly...

My local lighting supplier will take them for recycling for a few pennies each. For our church, they'd give us a corrugated cardboard tube that would hold a bunch and then it was a few bucks when we took it in. For homeowners, they'll take a few here and there for free if you ask nicely.

Well, maybe I can just ship them UPS. Amazon shipped my 5 cases. I found this note when tracking one of them:

The package was damaged in transit. UPS will notify the sender with the details. / All merchandise discarded. UPS will notify the sender with details of the damage.
    Edit: OK, this is what I love about Amazon. In the 10 minutes since I posted this originally, they've confirmed the issue with UPS, created a replacement order, and are sending it overnight at no extra cost (and I didn't even ask for that) so that I can still receive it on time.

Edit 2: So of the 4 remaining, 2 are for some reason delayed at the hub 20 minutes one side of my house having missed the trip to the depot 20 minutes the other side of my house and they attempted delivery of 2. The driver picked up one and said he wasn't even going to get it out of the truck due to the amount of "tinkling" inside. So so far I have 1 case. And Amazon set up a second overnight delivery of a replacement. I'm thinking the odds of getting 4 undamaged boxes tomorrow are rather slim. Oh well--I'll get as many as I can at this price and get the rest at Lowes.
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 06-29-2011 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    Don't know how environmentally friendly it is, but I'd collect up a few bad ones, put them into garbage bags (use two and duct tape the joint if the bulbs are too long for one bag, then break them up and drop them in the garbage.
    I guess it all depends on how you feel about depositing lead in a landfill.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Well, maybe I can just ship them UPS. Amazon shipped my 5 cases. I found this note when tracking one of them:

Edit: OK, this is what I love about Amazon. In the 10 minutes since I posted this originally, they've confirmed the issue with UPS, created a replacement order, and are sending it overnight at no extra cost (and I didn't even ask for that) so that I can still receive it on time.

Edit 2: So of the 4 remaining, 2 are for some reason delayed at the hub 20 minutes one side of my house having missed the trip to the depot 20 minutes the other side of my house and they attempted delivery of 2. The driver picked up one and said he wasn't even going to get it out of the truck due to the amount of "tinkling" inside. So so far I have 1 case. And Amazon set up a second overnight delivery of a replacement. I'm thinking the odds of getting 4 undamaged boxes tomorrow are rather slim. Oh well--I'll get as many as I can at this price and get the rest at Lowes.
    I really like Amazon also, I've had similar experiences with them. The flood of emails is a bit excessive at times but they really stay on top of informing you on your order.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Mabery View Post
    I guess it all depends on how you feel about depositing lead in a landfill.
    Don't you mean Mercury?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    I'm thinking the odds of getting 4 undamaged boxes tomorrow are rather slim. Oh well--I'll get as many as I can at this price and get the rest at Lowes.
    Odds of getting any tomorrow are slim to none. Of the 4 cases in UPS's hands, 3 are now reporting damage, in addition to the two damaged today. So of the 7 total cases shipped at best 2 weren't destroyed. Off to Lowes tomorrow...

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin W Johnson View Post
    I'd stock up on bulbs..... 15 years from now, we're likely to have really good low cost LED options.
    Interestingly a co-worker pointed out http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9880 today (he's building a bike helmet light). I'm doing the math they aren't appearing compellingly better than high efficiency T8's (I could well be doing the math wrong, and am omitting it here to save myself the embarrassment ). If anyone sees how I'm wrong on that.. please do point out how I'm an idiot and can't divide lumens/watts properly

There appear to be several places you can get bulk Luxeon Rebel assemblies for reasonable looking prices, so DIY LED lamp assemblies could possibly be worth doing.. I should also ask my friend who does LED systems for a living what he'd recommend now that I think about it, seems reasonable to ask someone who knows what they're doing Funny how things like that slip your mind..

OK, these Amazon people are just crazy. I did get one unbroken box today, so 2 of the 7 shipped to date. They have one box left in stock--and they are going to attempt to ship it to me overnight since the damage ratio has only been 50% overnight as opposed to 80% second day .

Our local transfer station takes the bulb no matter how long they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Garlock View Post
    Hi Matt.

If/when you go to new ballasts, buy Advance Philips brand. Advance ballast is an American company that was bought by Philips. Back in 2002 I built a shop as part of our new home build. The electrician said that Advance was the only brand ballast he would install. Granger's has a large selection of Advance ballasts.
    That's good news about Advance Phillips ballasts. I have a T12 4' fixture that needed a ballast and my Dad has 2. I bought replacement ballasts at the Blue Borg and installed mine - no issue. I'm doing Dad's tomorrow. He has a stock of T-12 bulbs so it didn't make sense to buy new fixtures.

Cheers

Jim

I don't know if this is accurate everywhere or just locally, but I have been told that you cannot change out the ballast and the ends of existing fixtures and keep up to code. The fixture itself is part of the UL listing and by removing the parts that made it UL listing and putting new parts in and not having it UL inspected, it means if you upgrade your existing fixtures, you're not UL compliant.

This probably isn't a big deal for the home owner, but it's about to become a very big issue. Right now a lot of commercial buildings are doing the conversions, but the inspectors are starting to go after it now. So just know that trouble is on the horizon in this change over thing and you can bet somewhere, somehow, the cheap solution is going to get shut down.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.