Thread: Robland XSD 310

Robland XSD 310

Hi all,

I have been checking out the creek for a few weeks now and finally got around to registering a few weeks. Seems to be a really great group compared to some of the other forums.

I am a hobby woodworker with limited shop space. I have been considering purchase of a used Robland XSD310 Jointer/ Planer combo. As I understand it this is the same Jointer Planer that is used on the X31 combo machine.

Does anyone have experience with this Planer/ jointer?

What would be a fair price for a good condition used machine with optional Mortiser attachment?

Thanks for the input

Bill --
    If you haven't found it already, you might check the Robland forum at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RoblandX-31/

Thanks

Thanks for the advisce Jamie. I had been to the Laguna users group but did not know there was a Robland.

Bill,

Welcome to SMC! Are you interested in any other European brands: Hammer, Felder, MiniMax, etc. ? Try a search here by typing in: jointer planer. You should get hits to quite a few discussions.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Chris,

Thanks for the welcome and the feedback.
    I have looked some at the Hammer unit online.
    First some additional background info. I started out looking at 8" jointers but am really strugggling with dedicating 6ft of floor space to a jointer so then I started looking at combo jointer/planers. I know a longer table is desireable, but I have never really had problems jointing long boards on a 6" jointer with a 4ft table so the 5 ft table on some of the combo machines is very attractive to me in addition to the extra width. I could also dump my 13" Portable Delta Planer freeing up some additional space. A new european machine is out of my budget but seems like one of the used ones can be had for less than $2000.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bezilla
    Chris,
    First some additional background info. I started out looking at 8" jointers but am really strugggling with dedicating 6ft of floor space to a jointer so then I started looking at combo jointer/planers. I know a longer table is desireable, but I have never really had problems jointing long boards on a 6" jointer with a 4ft table so the 5 ft table on some of the combo machines is very attractive to me in addition to the extra width. I could also dump my 13" Portable Delta Planer freeing up some additional space. A new european machine is out of my budget but seems like one of the used ones can be had for less than $2000.
    Bill,

I have a Robland X31 and I really do like the Jointer/Planer combo part of the machine. I have had it since Sep 1999 and have put it through a lot of paces since then. IMHO, if you can find the combon J/P used and in good to great shape, I wouldn't hesitate to get it if I was limited on space. The only thing I've had to do to my J/P is get the knives sharpened twice since it was purchased. I have a set of knives now that needs sharpening, but that's another story.

I think you will like it. The only drawback to the combo? You really need to "plan" your planing and jointing so you won't be switching between the 2 tools for machining wood. It takes more time and effort as well as you don't have the planer setting you left off with as the planer table has to be lowered in order to convert back to jointing. Other than that, I've been happy with it.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I know that this is an old thread, but there are scarce posts about the Robland J/P machines or their newer Laguna counterparts. While most of those posts encourage someone to save up their pennies to buy a MiniMax or Hammer equivalent, I honestly think this is a good unit, especially if you're stepping up from a 6" jointer. I bought my unit a little over a year ago with an extra set of carbide blades, and have been pleasantly surprised. My only slight, and I emphasize slight, beef is with the extruded aluminum fence, although it has proven itself as adequate.

Setup and alignment has been easier than any 6" or 8" machine I have worked on, and it does a beautiful job. Best of all, these tend to sell at a very reasonable rate on the used market, and there is a great website with adjustment info for setting up the jointer. This was much faster to align than either my previous Delta, Jet, or old school Sears/King Seeley jointers, as the adjustment mechanisms are much different and more simple than the standard jointers. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again, and 12" jointing is fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock View Post
    Bill,

I have a Robland X31 and I really do like the Jointer/Planer combo part of the machine. I have had it since Sep 1999 and have put it through a lot of paces since then. IMHO, if you can find the combon J/P used and in good to great shape, I wouldn't hesitate to get it if I was limited on space. The only thing I've had to do to my J/P is get the knives sharpened twice since it was purchased. I have a set of knives now that needs sharpening, but that's another story.

I think you will like it. The only drawback to the combo? You really need to "plan" your planing and jointing so you won't be switching between the 2 tools for machining wood. It takes more time and effort as well as you don't have the planer setting you left off with as the planer table has to be lowered in order to convert back to jointing. Other than that, I've been happy with it.
    +1 on the Robland J/P....I love mine...best planer I have ever used and very little snipe. bob

Robland XSD 310 Setup

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Faucett View Post
    ...and there is a great website with adjustment info for setting up the jointer.
    Do you have the address of this site? I just bought used one and don't have any manuals. Any setup tips I can get would be greatly appreciated! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Rickard View Post
    Do you have the address of this site? I just bought used one and don't have any manuals. Any setup tips I can get would be greatly appreciated! :-)
    http://www.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/X...tuffIndex.html