Thread: Triton Roller ball pen

Triton Roller ball pen

Yesterday I was doing a bit of a clean up in the shop and came across a piece of spalted maple that I had thrown in the scrap bin, before throwing it out I decided to cut into it and this is what I found. Spalted curly maple and very sound not the least bit punky, so I cut up the rest of the scrap into some pen blanks 21 in all but these are the best of the lot as for the spalting.

spaulted curly Maple pen blanks 002.jpg

Then today I turned this pen from one of the blanks. and applied a C.A. finish.
    Next month the wife and I will be going to China for business and I think that I'll turn half a dozen of these as presentation gifts.
    Triton Roller Ball pen 003.jpg

Triton Roller Ball pen 001.jpg

Triton Roller Ball pen 004.jpg

John

WOW John, that is an awesome pen. It or one like it would make a great "2011 SMC Pen Exchange" pen. Have considered opting into our little event?

"The best things in life are not things."

John, those will be well received!! I gave the speakers at our Respiratory Conference pens as a thank you gift a few years ago. Our Medical Director has cannibalized 4 Mont Blancs for refills...he uses it every day, without exception. Your new owners will be proud!!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

That's really sharp, John. I love the look of spalted maple... It's pretty stuff!
    Last edited by David E Keller; 06-22-2011 at 7:56 AM.

Very elegant pen. Nice job, and if you're looking to close a deal, just hand them the pen and the contract!

Nice pen, I like very much and they should make a big hit over there.

Nice scrap find and the pen is stunning! I have been losing a few to the kids as they pick them up and use them, they like to show them off at school and work. I need to put some more in the drawer or I won't have any to use for myself!

Keep up the good work on the pens,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

That is one sharp looking pen. The wood is really nice & your finish looks fantastic. Those I'm sure will be well received gifts...
    Billy

It's really nice!

Wow talk about a nice save, that is some beautiful wood!
    Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Great looking pen and the wood is awesome. Where did you get the kit from?

Thanks all for the compliments,
    This was my first time to use a C.A. finish and I'm really liking it.
    Donny, The kit came from Lee Valley. I ordered another 5 kits and they arrived in the mail today, but this weekend we'll be going camping leaving tomorrow, so the pens will have to wait till sometime next week.

John

For a "first-time" user with CA you are either very lucky or very good! That is one impressive looking pen. Nice tight fit with the pen kit -- those will make a lasting impression I'm sure.
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
    Ayn Rand