Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Masked Marshall Strikes Again!

The Masked Marshall Strikes Again!

Came home this evening, expecting another grueling battle with computering, but came home to the most pleasant surprise!!!

Kathy Marshall decided to ship the most beautiful piece of mesquite I've ever had the opportunity to turn. That's no small deal, since my brother in San Antonio has given me nice pieces out of his firewood pile any time I visit Texas.

But this piece....Holy smokes. Clean, big, check-free, gorgeous color 12X12X6.

Cherry used to be my favorite wood to turn....but over the years, mesquite took its place. I love it for the smell, how nicely it cuts, how nicely it dries, and the end result is usually a beautiful unique grain, found no where else.

I've already decided....I will cut it in three pieces One tall all-mesquite vase. And two smaller vase bodies for multi-species pieces.

Thank you Kathy. You made a very difficult day end in delight.

Kathy2-1.jpgkathy1-1.jpg
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

John...I have to add my praise here as well, I opened the door today to the same box with a beautiful piece of Mesquite in it, the thing is massive!!!! I am so looking forward to turning this! Thank you Kathy, this means a great deal to me!!! Tim
    Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Then we are like blood-brothers, Tim!!! We should do matching pieces!!!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Good deal, John and Tim! That Kathy is a sneaky character, and she's to be praised for her generosity!

Kathy is awesome, you two stink!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Kathy is truly the wood fairy - spreading cheer all around the country! Way to go, Kathy, and to a couple of deserving critters, too.

Good on yous guys! I can't wait to see what they turn into. Too cool Kathy!
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart View Post
    Then we are like blood-brothers, Tim!!! We should do matching pieces!!!
    Hey that sounds like a good idea to me, I am in!!

That Kathy M is something else, eh? I think she epitomizes everything I like about the spinny creeker attitude. Passion for the sport (wear your helmet)... and generosity with a pleasant demeanor. I have some Kathy wood I picked up in Az a while back, waiting to get my lathe remounted to a more stable stand before I give it a go. You boys turn something nice, and make her proud!
    mj

That is some great looking mesquite John. Love turning mesquite. Kathy is a gem for sure and awesome for sure.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

One other great use for mesquite is the shavings. Throw them in the smoker with a 10 lb brisket and you have some great turnings and even greater BBQ!

John, Send me the left overs for the smoker!!!! I hope to get to Texas in the winter to visit my buddy in Corpus Christi, and make a run through the southern states to visit family and other SMC folks if it all works out!

I have one similar from Michael James that I need to get on the lathe, maybe next week before the new grandbaby is born and we take a 10 day trip to Idaho!

Have fun and no rest for the weary,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Glad you like it John and Tim! Can't wait to see what your turn from them!
    I really enjoy giving little surprises and how much better when you find your little surprise has turned someone's day around!
    And thanks to those that have helped out with addresses, wouldn't be a surprise if I had to ask the surprisee.....the saga continues...
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hayes View Post
    One other great use for mesquite is the shavings. Throw them in the smoker with a 10 lb brisket and you have some great turnings and even greater BBQ!
    Oh man I am so glad you reminded me about that, I am going to save all the shavings for the grill now!

Kudos to Kathy. Nice gesture to deserving guys.