Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Where do you buy your three corner files??

I was going to order 6 packs of 7",but they tried to hit me with $33.00+ dollars shipping,which made the cost jump to over $63.00. Not needing that many triangular files,I didn't order. Still a great bargain,though (IF they are decent files). Could be Hecho en Mexico. No me gusta!!.

I just ordered some slim taper 7" pack of 12 for $4.97 and some extra slim 6" pack of 6 for $4.06. These two orders were $6 in shipping. $15.03 for 18 files, all Nicholsons which aren't my favorite but certainly will be for that price.

Another order from a different retailer that Amazon uses I got a pack of 12 extra slim 5" for $3.96 and $4 shipping.

I really appreciate the heads up on these files as it saved me a ton of money on some upcoming saw renovations in serious need. And those 5" files should keep my dovetail saws sharp for a long time. Hopefully the 5" files are a little straighter than my last 4" and 5" files were. They came with a good size bow.

Someone is losing some serious money on these files, we're talking 90% off the original prices here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Shea View Post
    ...Someone is losing some serious money on these files, we're talking 90% off the original prices here.
    Sometimes a business has to convert inventory to cash, some cash being superior to none and far superior to inventory you can't move.

Pam

Ok I just ordered 36 triangular files for ~ $15 bucks. You guys are a bad influence on young impressionable guys like me!
    The Plane Anarchist

Yeah, i'm game now, too. Despite their quality issues, I also ordered 36. With shipping they came in just above a dollar per. I can waste them for that price.

I'm not convinced, though, that I won't just get three files.

Secretly, i'm hoping they're clearing out NOS US made files. I highly doubt any of us will be that lucky, but we can hope.

I'm afraid we'll all end up with 1 file per pack. Hope not. Other forums have discussed Amazon's foul ups. At least they usually let you keep your order,and refund. Well have to wait and see.

Typically Amazon has decent customer service in my experience. I would assume they will honor what is listed, or least I hope so. I'm not big on supporting outfits like Amazon and usually take my business local if possible but it is sometimes unavoidable due to the massive price difference. Such as a rifle scope I just bought. A Burris Fullfield II 4.5x14x42mm was on Amazon for $259. I talked to my local gun shop and the absolute best he could do was $379. In fact, Amazon's price just wasn't even in the same ballpark as others around the web or anywhere else. As long as they can keep up with decent customer service I don't feel too bad about supporting them.

As of 7:21 AM EDT Amazon is still listing half a dozen different sizes of these files at blowout prices (around $1 each including shipping). Use search terms "nicholson", "taper" and "12".

Regarding the original question - Tools For Working Wood sells Grobet at very reasonable prices. Personally, I agree with Larry's earlier post - the "new" Nicholson's aren't worth having. I bought a few at a local hardware store and wound up taking the ones I hadn't used back - they were so bad that they weren't worth the low price.

Amazon just called to say that were going to send me an Email about my order. I'll relate what that is about. We never answer the house phone because it is always a politician or salesman. The woman had such a heavy German accent I had to go over to the phone and replay the message ti understand it. I know it was about my order for files because she mentioned Cooper tools (and that's the only order I have placed,anyway.

Edit: I just spoke to Amazon,and they claimed they had no knowledge of the "damaged" files. They were just given information by the supplier. I told them it was a cooked up lie,and they had said in several places on their site that the files were a package of 12,and they were trying to wiggle out of the order. I told them that there would be plenty of discussion about this on the internet forums. When I demanded to speak to someone else,the woman came back to the phone and told me they would honor the sale,but it would be 6 to 8 weeks. I told her that was no problem. I suggested that they be more careful about their foul ups in the future.

If you others who ordered files get the same run around,I hope that you see this posting.

I hope that this same thing is not done to me again in 6 to 8 weeks,because I will not let them out of it. If they had just called and admitted their mistake,and asked to be let off,I would have agreed to do so. However,I will not be lied to about this and let them out of it.
    Last edited by george wilson; 06-27-2011 at 10:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Ring View Post
    As of 7:21 AM EDT Amazon is still listing half a dozen different sizes of these files at blowout prices (around $1 each including shipping). Use search terms "nicholson", "taper" and "12".
    Nicholson (cooper) wasn't the only one listing them, either. They had several drop shippers (bic tools or something and two others) who also had the files listed at the low prices. If this doesn't work out, cooper probably sent price data to their drop ship retailers that was not correct, and all of them did it at once.

If they don't have the decency to honor what they listed, and they just waste our time, it'll just be another example of how they are completely disinterested in anything other than offering garbage at the price of quality tools, and combining it with poor service.

On other note, the nicholsons that i got from mcmaster were mexico (junk) nicholsons. They can be used to sharpen, despite the quality of the blank, but they are not as good and there is no reason to pay western file prices for them. I doubt nicholson cares at all what woodworkers think now that they can make garbage tools in mexico and sell them through home depot and farm stores to people who will likely never use them, anyway.

I wonder what the 6 to 8 weeks delay is? Perhaps the have to go back to Cooper Tools and hold their feet to the fire and make them ship more files. In which case,they certainly will not be new old stock,but will be new Mexican made files.

If my files come too soft,but the teeth are o.k.,I'll wrap them up in stainless foil and charcoal,and case harden them some more in my electric furnace. They won't fake me out,unless the teeth are just badly cut.
    Last edited by george wilson; 06-27-2011 at 10:30 AM.

So they told you 6-8 weeks? The places I ordered from said they were either in stock or 1-3 days lead time. The second comment of 1-3 days lead time tells me they're just a drop shipper and they have no idea what stock actually is.

I ran into this issue with an asturo spray gun long ago, it took 3 weeks just to get a tracking number from the drop shipper that sold it to me when it didn't show up. They had no idea where it was.

As we type, there are still several sizes of 6 and 12 packs that are less than or about $1 per file.

I sure would like to run into some good NOS files sometime, like old enough that they are more than 0.95% or 1% carbon, and really hard. I've never used anything better than grobets, but even they don't seem that hard. Maybe I'm just using them on old saws with hard spots.

George - i'm not following at the beginning, did cooper at first try to back out of the sale of the files claiming that they couldn't fulfill the order due to damaged files?

Or was it amazon or a third party seller?

The Email was from Toolfetch. I called Amazon,using the 800 number that Toolfetch provided. Guess they either don't want to speak with customers,or aren't supposed to.

I expect everyone here who ordered files will get the same call and Email.