Thread: 15 ga Finish or 18 ga Brad for Crown Molding

15 ga Finish or 18 ga Brad for Crown Molding

Hey guys,

I'm installing some crown molding this weekend. In our 105 year old home everything takes 5 times longer and is usually a pain. I did have a question about what size nail to use. I have a finish gun and a brad nailer. My first thought is a 15 ga finish nail will be the best, but I was wondering if it's possible to get away with a brad. I have both so that doesn't matter, just a matter of hole filling I guess.

Thanks - John

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    I use a 15. Good holding and enough strength to punch through old plaster with out cracking it.

I use the 18 brads to tack corners and scarf joints for no splitting.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Tylers got it right. The brad nail may not be able to hold up the weight of the crown. The larger profiles can get a little heavy and you have gravity working against you.

I have used the 18 ga on small crown (1 7/8"), but on the big stuff use the 15/16 guage range.

I use a PC 16 gauge finish nailer--it seems to be a nice compromise between an 18 gauge brad nailer and 15 gauge finishing nailer. Shoots nails up to 2 1/2" long which have a lot of holding power. My brad nailer only shoots brads 1 1/4" long which isn't long enough to go through the crown and sheetrock.
    Dennis

Ya kinda need longer fasteners to do this job right and that pretty much precludes using an 18 guage gun, even if yours will shoot fasteners that are long enough for the job. The reason is that the small wire brads have a "mind of their own" and can often be derailed from their intended path by wood grain and other things in the wall. IMHO, a 15 guage angle gun is the best choice for this as it shoots "real" nails that are sufficient in length to give good hold on the molding. I also agree with Dennis that if you need something that goes both ways, the 16 guage gun is a good compromise. It's still a brad nailer (flat wire fasteners) but they have a little more beef and can stand up to the longer lengths. You sill need to be wary of grain following but it's less of a problem with the larger fasteners.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks guys, my 15 ga finish nailer can shoot 2-1/2" nails so for strength and length I use it. The crown is a 4-1/2 MDF molding, so the added size will help hold. I'm putting it over a smaller existing (maybe original or very old) crown, so I have a good nailing surface.

Thanks again - John

Don't shoot too close to the edge on that MDF molding, John...DAMHIKT!!

Jim,

Thanks for that wise pointer...

John