Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photo ID Badges

Photo ID Badges

Does anybody here do photo ID badges? I have a request for them and I'm trying to figure out the best way to do them. I thought I could cut out the blanks with the laser and use MagicTouch ORD. Another thought was this might be a good job to start doing sublimation but I can't find FRP blanks in the right size. Any idea where I could find them? They want them to be roughly 2x3 and hang vertically with a slot for a badge clip. Any thoughts on pricing would be helpful too.
    Scott Challoner
    30W LaserPro Spirit (Need more power)
    30W Wisely Fiber Galvo

There is a machine that makes those and makes them really fast. There's a well known machine that does it and it's name escapes me at the moment. I keep thinking "magic card" or "magic badge" or something, but in google, those don't get me to what I'm looking for.

It'll spit them out. There are many places to sub them to that have that machine. I'll see if my lightbulb comes on at some point and I can remember the name of it.

You could certainly dye sub them, but I think this machine spits them out pretty fast.

Edit- found it. Magicard is the name of the machine. See if you can find someone near you with one of those machines.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Thanks for the info Steve. So it seems like it's a better idea to sub them out for now. A basic Magicard printer is around $900.
    Scott Challoner
    30W Wisely Fiber Galvo

Scott, do a search on teslin. It will lead you to several places that show how to make them. Its actually pretty simple. There are some YouTube videos also.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

There are three or four brands of equipment that make this type of badge and some that can do the magnetic strip at the same time.

Direct Color is one, I believe Fargo and Zebra are others. They use a card sold by Johnson Plastics and Johnson also sells the slot puncher.

http://www.plasticcardid.com/fargo-p...FQ7MKgodyH_3NA

http://www.engravingconcepts.com/ind...d=21&Itemid=16

http://www.systemid.com/zebra/id_card_printers.asp
    Last edited by Mike Null; 06-27-2011 at 6:31 PM.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Thanks for all the info guys. I was hoping to be able to do these without having to buy more equipment although I'm looking for a reason to buy a Ricoh dye-sub printer. The Teslin option looks pretty good and should be adequate.
    Scott Challoner
    30W Wisely Fiber Galvo

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Challoner View Post
    Thanks for all the info guys. I was hoping to be able to do these without having to buy more equipment although I'm looking for a reason to buy a Ricoh dye-sub printer. The Teslin option looks pretty good and should be adequate.
    Your welcome..always glad to help
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Larry

Teslin looks very interesting. I've ordered samples.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Larry

Teslin looks very interesting. I've ordered samples.
    Can I ask where you are getting the samples from? I was thinking about looking at Office Depot for it. I was wondering if it can be cut on the laser too.
    Scott Challoner
    30W Wisely Fiber Galvo

Cheap enough to buy a pack, only two left, hurry!

http://www.amazon.com/Double-Sided-I.../dp/B001FS7WYI
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Challoner View Post
    Can I ask where you are getting the samples from? I was thinking about looking at Office Depot for it. I was wondering if it can be cut on the laser too.
    Haven't tried it at all, but in looking at the chemistry, it is a polyolefin. That is kin to polyethylene or polypropylene, so my guess is that it would be safe to cut. No idea about results though.

Scott,
    I went down the path you are going about 4 years ago. It was not a good path... pvc will sublimate but it's very, very finicky with regard to heat and pressure. The teslin cards are better but still not fun to work with if you have quantities. I ended up buying a Fargo HDP5000, it was about $2,500 and worth every penny! I have done about $25,000 in cards in the last four years. The thing you need to be aware of with card printers is that most will not print edge to edge, not in the lower price range anyway. That's the main reason I bought the one I did, it does do edge to edge. Most printers print directly on the card and the print head is protected by not printing too close to the edge. My printer prints on a film that is transferred to the card - true edge to edge and it also provides a protective coating, not quite laminated but close.

So, to answer your question - "the best way to do them" - either buy a $2500 printer or have someone else do them. I'm happy to do them for you if you want - not really my main business, doing cards for others to resell, but I'm glad to help out.

Gary

Thanks for the info and the offer Gary. I'm going to have to think about that. This initial order would be for about 65 cards plus a few a year for new hires and lost cards. The thing is, this is for a group in a large medical complex. My hope is that others in the complex would see the cards, like them and order more. If that were the case, then maybe it would make sense to jump in with both feet, buy a printer and market them to hotels, other hospitals etc. Any idea what I could charge for a single sided photo card? No magnetic strip needed.
    Scott Challoner
    30W Wisely Fiber Galvo

I ran into the same problem with Sublimation FRP.... Limited number of sizes and all one sided..... I broke the bonds of restrictions by cutting my own FRP Tags with my Sears CarveWright and a Carrier Board, Double Sided Tape, and a 1/16 End Mill Bit. I am working on a Vacuum Sled to save on Double Sided Tape... I can now cut any size and also do double sided for Luggage Tags.

I could cut you a batch of tags??? I have a eBay Antique Slot Cutter and I am still learning the capabilities... It tends to shatter the bottom edge of the hole... Still learning with that... Might heat the tag on top of the Press First....

Used CarveWrights go for as little as $500.00 Yes, they had reliability issues in the past... If you replace the known problem parts it is a Great machine...

If you want to knock the Tags out of the Park for the Medical Place do Epoxy Dome on the front..... Epoxies Etc will send you a free sample of the UV Cure Version, enough to do your order... I buy it by the Gallon.... All you need is a Home Depot Black Light and your Good to GO.... Learned about Epoxy dome on Engraving Etc Forum.... My 5th Gallon is in the Mail.....

Johnson Plastics just started selling the .030 thick Sheet Stock, one side gloss and one side matt. I was going to cut some on my sled but will use my Shear and Corner Rounder and old slot punch. So we are talking Credit Card Thick Stock.... For a hanging ID with Slot.... This is your answer...

To print, I just lay out a sheet of the artwork making it a little bigger and centering the tag and using heat tape... You could CLTT it too..... All you need is a Laser Color Printer with proper paper path.... Color Laser Toner Transfer.... Another Alternate for you from Sublimation..... It can scratch off..... Sublimation is Scratch resistant...

Don't forget to check out the JP forum too....

AL
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AL Ursich; 06-29-2011 at 10:19 AM.
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".