Thread: Which can for Lee Valley cyclone lid?

Which can for Lee Valley cyclone lid?

Hey, everybody! I got a LV cyclone lid (size small) a while back and set it up today. I am using a Brute 20 gallon rubber/plastic garbage can, and the suction from the shop vac pulls the sides in, disrupts the cyclonic action, and stirs up stuff that is then sucked into the shop vac. Not a ton, but more that I'm thinking should be going in there.

Does anybody have a suggestion for a stouter can that won't partially collapse? I'm thinking galvanized would work (one does for my ClearVue), but what size would work with the small lid?

Thanks as always.

Measure the lid inside diameter go looking at the box stores for a galvanized can. Take a tape measure with you...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Quote Originally Posted by John Thompson View Post
    Measure the lid inside diameter go looking at the box stores for a galvanized can. Take a tape measure with you...
    I have exhausted all of the local box stores. No luck. I am going to Ace next, I think. If nothing else, they can special order me something, I'll bet.

Google "Phil Thien" and just build yourself a "Thien Baffle." You won't be disappointed.

I built a Thien-style baffle, installed it on a standard 30 gal galvanized garbage can I got at the lumber yard. Connected it up to my big shop vac.

The shop vac collapsed the galvanized can. Nearly totaled it. I wound up installing ribs on the exterior of the can to reinforce it. The resulting screw holes that I was too lazy to seal make the can leak just enough to prevent collapse, yet there is still plenty enough suction to pick up a 1/2" nut from the floor.

TDC-OAs.jpg

After filling the big can 3 times, I have yet to collect more than a tablespoon's worth of dust inside the shop vac.