Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Experience with PVC fence?

Also look at composite fencing too. None of the glossy look of PVC/vinyl and more colors too. The same companies that make composite decking usually make composite fencing too. Some of it has texture like rough sawn wood.

WARNING PVC becomes very brittle and is very easy to snap, crackle, and pop when the temperature gets below freezing. This obviously only becomes a problem during the winter.

I will strongly agree with all of the comments about avoiding the chintzy stuff from the big box stores. It is nowhere near the quality of the stuff the professional installers and fence specialty places use. The pro stuff BOTH looks better and is far more durable.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

I put up a cellular pvc/vinal/composit fence a few years ago. Even though i am a carpenter/home builder i contarcted Walpole Woodworkers to do the job. I looked at 4-5 different companies and Walpole Woodworker highest end product was night and day in comparison to even other high end contractors. The coat was almost ransom like but worth it in the end.

The product is a thicker gauge both post and pannels and a much more robust look. It has sharper edges more akin to wood than the home center rounded over glossy plastic look. It is also a much more matt finish but still shiny enough to keep clean with a hose or power washer a couple times a year.

The briittle in the cold comment is something to consider as is potential breakage and repairs. For instance i have neighbors with young children and their kids balls and toys bouncing off it send cringes up my spine everytime i hear it as i know how hard it would be to replace a pannel should one break. Even the heavy gauge i payed all this money for coule still be easily broken.

I wanted a forest green high end wooden fence when i put this in and still kinda do. The carpenter and builder in me just did not want to add all the mintnace of a awooden fence to my already long list of home maintenance. I like things kept neat tidy and maintained. Painting a fence is a drag be it if ypu do it yourself or contract someone to do it.

For the most part i love my fence. Yes i wish it was more natural looking. Keep in mind a white fence will do some degree dictate what colors you do and do not paint your house in the future. This might be my biggest gripe as i like more natural looking homes that blend with the landscape. Bright white trim and fencing juat is not very natural. The white will limit your choices!

I am not certain about the cold weather. It gets well below zero with high winds and blizzard. My PVC fence is still standing.

Quote Originally Posted by ethan Brown View Post
    It's good idea to replace Wood fence to PVC fence. I have also replace chain link fence to PVC fence, it's better than chain link fence. It is low maintenance fence. Great experience It's good
    All good advice, but note the Original Poster asked this question 5 years ago, and the thread was resurrected by a brand new member.

Our neighbor installed it between our houses in a very short section. The wife planted vegetation to block the view. It might have a lot of function, but it's certainly poor form. Doesn't look bad with vegetation on it though.

Larry, The issue with cold weather is primarily impact. Hit any PCV product at well below freezing temps and it will crack if not outright shatter. You also need to allow for both expansion and contraction over whatever temperature range you run into in your area.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH