Thread: Powermatic Model 180 Planer

Powermatic Model 180 Planer

So there's a Model 180 planer for sale sitting at $1000 now, hopefully it stays that way. It comes out of a shop, I guess it was a wood "artist." Gotta love Santa Fe! Single phase 5 hp.

Problem is I've got to drive 800 miles to get it. Is this a good enough price to do something like that? I've got the time to take off, so that's not a big deal and I need to get over to AZ anyways to pick up a washer and dryer from my mom, so I'm going to need a trailer anyways, but it takes me about 400 miles out of the way from my mom's.

I guess I'm wondering if this planer is worth the effort to get it. Thanks for any advice.

Unless its falling apart, 1000 is a great price for an 18 inch planer. Go over to OWWM.org and do a search for a PM 180 and see what is discussed.

Casey, it depends of course on condition but if the pictures look good, motor seems fine and especially if a school machine, it sounds pretty good. I don't know if it has the "quiet head" but I would avoid that. If it has a grinder it is really a good deal. I would check out freight to a terminal close to your route. 800 miles with a trailer has some cost to it. dave

Casey,

I just did a quick search for Powermatic 180 Planers on AllofCraig.com and there are only about six of them listed. They range from $775 in Pittsburgh to well over $2,000.

Bill

I had a 180 before I bought my SCM. I wish I still had it for rough work with a set of carbides in it. Great planer, never missed a beat, and left a good finish. I bought the SCM because the finish cut is almost ready for finish, but the cost of Tersa knives makes me hesitate to run questionable stock. I am on the lookout for another one myself.

$1000. If it does not need a rebuild, what are you waiting for?

Larry

Thanks guys! Looks like it is a decent deal. Maybe not the steal I got on my jointer, but good enough. And from what I can tell, the Model 180 is a very good one. If I get it, I guess I'll be building another mobile base.

I would eventually like to put a helical cutterhead on it, but am a bit worried it'll be a little underpowered to go that route. Anyone have any experience on that? I guess I'll first have to try the knives on it and see how it does.

Casey, If the PM is 5 hp, and I think the feeds rollers run off the same motor, then you would be pushing it with a byrd type head. If the motor is belt driven you can always try the head and eventually upgrade. PM is a pretty good choice for an 18" to 20". In the old days a 1300lb 18" planer was considered light duty by the manufacturers. Tells you are far we have slipped. Dave

Yes, the PM 160 and 180 were considered Powermatic's medium duty planers (!!!).

I have a PM 180 with a Byrd head. It's a former school machine, and the previous owner, a cabinet maker, installed the head. I bought it last summer and have been running it for the last year with no problems. With shipping I paid about $1700 for mine, but that included the helical head already installed. I am powering mine with a TECO CV7300 VFD nominally rated for 7.5 HP on a 220 single phase circuit. The Byrd head is very quiet, especially compared to my 4 post Grizzly, and the finish is just fine. It still needs to be sanded, but it is very good.

5 HP on a 18" planer with a helical head is about as small as you would want, but for a small shop that isn't doing a lot of heavy, rough planing on a full time production basis it will be fine. You won't be able to do heavy hogging cuts, but otherwise you should have no problems.

If you get it, make sure you have some way to get it unloaded. Yes, it does weigh at least 1300 pounds. It's a serious professional tool, and there's no comparison to a lunchbox or four-poster.

PM me if you have any more questions.