Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fastest way to rip wood

Fastest way to rip wood

Fast forward to :25 and watch

Watched the entire thing. Impressive. Wish I undersoon Japanese.

Just watching him sit on the floor and work makes my back ache!

I am sure a lot was left out,but I wonder what is holding those drawers together besides glue? Near the end there was a bit of hidden dovetailing shown being done on the corners of the case. He had no bevels on the edges of his chisel. Neither did I when making the dovetails in the movie about making the spinet. Just angled the chisel to get into the dovetails.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    I am sure a lot was left out,but I wonder what is holding those drawers together besides glue? Near the end there was a bit of hidden dovetailing shown being done on the corners of the case. He had no bevels on the edges of his chisel. Neither did I when making the dovetails in the movie about making the spinet. Just angled the chisel to get into the dovetails.
    I was thinking the same thing when I saw him assemble the drawers. To me, it looks like a very basic box joint in the back, maybe a half lap on the front, and I don't know what on the bottom, with a couple of drops of glue. To me it looks like the whole thing is ready to fall apart, so I don't really know what's going on there.

If you look at the all the poster's videos, there's quite a few videos like this. There's another 2 parts to this video but you have to go to his channel and scroll quite a ways to find them. I will post them here just because I know how to find them and to be complete about it.

Part 1:

Part 2:
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 07-03-2011 at 8:32 PM.

FYI:

It's from the same user that posted this 6 part series some time ago:

Blog Entries
    Just watching him sit on the floor and work makes my back ache!
    Same here, I could do that maybe 30 years ago. Getting back up was/is the hard part.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

File that under things we forget. A slitter was part of every Stanley 45. Cutting gauges do the same thing, softwood is best for this.
    Mike

im going to have to try this method next time im in the shop

John, why did you force me to watch those... again. I just can't stop. I really admire the simple beauty of his work but he must know something I don't about wood movement to expect those drawer bottoms to work out.

FYI: this is for the newcomers who may not be familiar with cutting gauges. That's not a standard, western style scratch marking gauge. That sucker's got an actual knife in it and is quite useful for cutting veneer, in addition to marking (I don't even own a scratch style gauge anymore).

re: wood movement

Along with what George said, I know what you mean...it just doesn't seem right but it obviously works so we're missing something. Maybe it's the kind of wood. It seems and "sounds" soft and not very dense, and maybe it's just a very pliable species of wood so that wood movement is really not an issue. Dunno.

I love what looks like to be a giant Hellman's mayonnaise jar full of glue, and how they apply it. Makes my glue bottle squirting and pinky spreading seem downright barbaric. These guys can go to work dressed nicely and not get a drop of anything on them. I come up from a long day in the shop and I look I had a fight with the Titebond monster....I have shavings everywhere, including in all my pockets and in my shoes (somehow). These guys look like they just stepped out of the bath, as neat and relaxed as ever.
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 07-03-2011 at 11:01 PM.

Who said stopped dadoes are difficult with hand tools? Part 2, 2:00.

I really found it interesting how he started planing the wood. Anyone got an explanation for that.
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!

I believe he is using Kiri (Pawlonia) wood. It is very soft similar to balsa. Needs sharp tools to work with to cut clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ashton View Post
    I really found it interesting how he started planing the wood. Anyone got an explanation for that.
    Looked quite normal to me. What do you find interesting?

Pam

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    I love what looks like to be a giant Hellman's mayonnaise jar full of glue, and how they apply it. Makes my glue bottle squirting and pinky spreading seem downright barbaric. These guys can go to work dressed nicely and not get a drop of anything on them. I come up from a long day in the shop and I look I had a fight with the Titebond monster....I have shavings everywhere, including in all my pockets and in my shoes (somehow). These guys look like they just stepped out of the bath, as neat and relaxed as ever.

I didn't get time to see the whole thing before heading to work, but after viewing a similar video here, (probably the 6 part series you link further on in this thread; the videos don't even show up at work) I had a go at applying my glue with pallette knives; for pretty much everything, it's how I do it now. It's quicker and less messy, and after a little practice, I can get a small box or other joinery type situation glued up in half the time. I've got a few different knives from my painting days, different sizes and shapes for different jobs, works great.