Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miter Saw Dust Collection

Miter Saw Dust Collection

In January, I bought a Craftsman 12 inch sliding compound miter saw. I simply LOVE this saw, it is one of the most used tools in my shop, if not the most.

The thing that I didn't like, is just like all SCMS it spewed dust all over.

I decided to build a dust collection "box" behind it, on the old kitchen cabinet that I use for a stand.

The results are below. The collection shroud is built out of 1/4 inch B/C plywood. The 4" flex pipe is connected to the Shroud by 1/2 of a blast gate. One of my blast gates had separated, leaving two halves that have a 4 inch round port on one side and are flat on the other side. I screwed and taped the flat side to the bottom of the Shroud and hooked the hose to the 4" port.

Jeff -

That looks like it should get most all of the dust. Does any dust collect under the saw?

Ted

Ted,

The dust does not tend to collect under the saw. The collection does very well when doing crosscuts where the slide is not used. When I have to crosscut a wider board, I would say about 10 percent or more of the dust does not get collected.

I just can't figure out a way to collect it when the blade is that far away from the shroud.

All in all, I am happy with the collection, but it is NOT perfect

Jeff, nice job on the shroud. Have you had a chance to try it on miter cuts yet? I'd be interested in seeing how well it does when the dust stream isn't heading straight back at the chute. I know mine loses some effectiveness when I'm cutting off 90*deg, though it still manages to catch the fine stuff before it escapes. Keep us posted on performance.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    Jeff, nice job on the shroud. Have you had a chance to try it on miter cuts yet? I'd be interested in seeing how well it does when the dust stream isn't heading straight back at the chute. I know mine loses some effectiveness when I'm cutting off 90*deg, though it still manages to catch the fine stuff before it escapes. Keep us posted on performance.
    John,

It works about the same on all cuts where it can be used. I can use it on all bevel cuts, where the head tilts for the angle. However, in order to keep the size down, I did not build it for miter cuts, where the table moves to make the angle. If I want to make a miter cut, I need to remove the shroud.

If this becomes a problem for me, I will think about building a bigger shroud that could be used all of the time.

The good thing is that the saw will cut through 4 inches of material, so I should have to seldomly make a miter cut

SCMS dust collection

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Sudmeier
    If this becomes a problem for me, I will think about building a bigger shroud that could be used all of the time.
    Hey Jeff,
    There are only two ways to control the dust of those SCMSs. Either put them in a positive pressure ultra-suction chamber or put on a dust mask and use them out in your driveway!! There ain't NO way to control the dust on those things!! They are great but dust control is not one of their positive features!!

Dale T.
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 02-15-2005 at 7:31 AM.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

[QUOTE=Dale Thompson]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Sudmeier

Hey Jeff,
    There are only two ways to control the dust of those SCMSs. Either put them in a positive pressure ultra-suction chamber or put on a dust mask and use them out in your driveway!! There ain't NO way to control the dust on those things!! They are great but dust control is not one of their positive features!!

Dale T.
    I have to say that my Delta CMS is pretty good with dust collection right out of the box. Most of the dust winds up in the little bag. I've been pleasantly surprised. Of course it is not a slider.
    John
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

That's the new one made by Bosch. I think the Bosch design is the best in the business. If my Makita doesn't last much longer (the motor has started to start VERY easily and is making noises from time to time), I'll be tempted to move up to the 12".

PS...I like the hood you built!

Kelly,
    I have a friend that has a Bosch 12" saw and most all the dust winds up in the air and on the floor, not in the bag.

Jeff,
    Does the shroud move left and right with the saw? Are you using some sort of dust collection under the saw or just right behind it?
    JIm

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dunn
    Kelly,
    I have a friend that has a Bosch 12" saw and most all the dust winds up in the air and on the floor, not in the bag.
    I have yet to see a saw that doesn't do this Jim....it's not a big deal to me since most of my work is outside.

Well we're going to try and eliminate most of that situation as he recently spent $3300.00 at the wood show. He got a new X5 Delta table saw, X5 8" jointer and a free air cleaner, dust collector (with filter canister) and mobile base for the jointer.

Quote Originally Posted by John Shuk
    I have to say that my Delta CMS is pretty good with dust collection right out of the box. Most of the dust winds up in the little bag. I've been pleasantly surprised. Of course it is not a slider.
    John
    John,

My SCMS works pretty good out of the box too, until you start sliding it! The slider is what kills the dust collection.

My dad has a makita SCMS and it is the same way...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dunn
    Jeff,
    Does the shroud move left and right with the saw? Are you using some sort of dust collection under the saw or just right behind it?
    JIm
    Jim,

The shroud does not move left and right with the saw. I mostly use the saw for 90 degree cuts. The saw will also cross cut through 4 inch thick material, so I can always stand the material up to cut an angle on it. It is very easy to remove the shroud, just pull the cabinet away from the wall and remove it.

As I said previously, if I start to want to collect the dust on miter cuts, I will build a bigger collection shroud for it.

I have the dewalt 12" slider. My box is basically the same as yours, except it's much bigger. Does a fair job, even when mitering. I have a 6" intake on it.

A final thought!

Jeff,
    About a year ago I had the opportunity to talk with a DeWalt representative regarding their SCMS (the 708). I asked him about dust collection. He said that, unfortunately, the "bag" only picks up about 80% of the dust. I then told him that I had one and that he should consider taking the zero off of the 80%. He more or less agreed and said that he would refund any money that I had paid for the bag. Well - it had come with the saw so I couldn't ask for any refund. I didn't. However, we continued the discussion on the positive aspects of that great saw and other DeWalt products. He ended up giving me a $50 DeWalt "Gift" card. We both learned something from the discussion and I had doubled the annual tool allowance given to me by the LOML! I only hope that I can handle this much money at one time!!

Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!