Thread: Walnut Humidor

Walnut Humidor

I made this for a buddy who is a Volunteer Fireman here in town.

The top is from one of the most beautiful walnut planks I have ever seen, amazing figure. I got it at Rockler from a supplier in Rancho Cucamonga, Answer Woods. Beautiful stuff at a special price of $10/bf.

The Dovetails were made on the INCRA jig, took me a while to get it set up to perfection, with a few practice boards, but it fit perfectly.

The top is truly wonderful !! I hope the pic looks as good as the top in person

Instead of slats, I drilled some holes for airflow in the tray

The box front and sides are not too bad either, some nice walnut, but not as figured.

Comments from you pro humidor makers would be welcomed !
    Attached Images Attached Images
    MARK

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Valsi View Post
    I made this for a buddy who is a Volunteer Fireman here in town.

The top is from one of the most beautiful walnut planks I have ever seen, amazing figure. I got it at Rockler from a supplier in Rancho Cucamonga, Answer Woods. Beautiful stuff at a special price of $10/bf.

The Dovetails were made on the INCRA jig, took me a while to get it set up to perfection, with a few practice boards, but it fit perfectly.

The top is truly wonderful !! I hope the pic looks as good as the top in person

Instead of slats, I drilled some holes for airflow in the tray

The box front and sides are not too bad either, some nice walnut, but not as figured.

Comments from you pro humidor makers would be welcomed !
    I can't get the REPLY to work without QUOTE but anyway, just wanted say that is a beautiful humidor and you are right, the figure in the wood is amazing.

No doubt! That walnut is absolutely GEORGOUS!!!!! I really like your very tight, big dovetail on the front too -- a great job.

One question: I thought a humidor required "more" than just some air holes. Some kind of electronic air control etc. Am I completely off base?
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
    Ayn Rand

Stunning wood and nice woodworking

Blog Entries
    Looks great, Mark! It's a lot of fun making these things..... I can't tell from the 2nd picture, but how did you manage the seal?

Very nice work Mark.

One option/suggestion for future humidor builds. The bottom of the tray obviously needs ventilation to maintain consistent temp and RH, however, I always found holes and slats to be a bit boring. What I started doing was making a bottomless tray with 1/8 rabbets that would otherwise accept the bottom, however, instead of a solid piece of SC, I milled down 3/4" by 1/8" strips, steamed them in a steambox (to make them pliable) and wove an interlocking grid with them that left plenty of room for air to circulate. SC is actually quite pliable when steamed, however, the woven panel becomes very rigid after the moisture returns to normal levels. Ill try and find a picture of an old piece to show you.

Just an idea for a future piece. The one you posted is a great example.

PJS

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Scoma View Post
    What I started doing was making a bottomless tray with 1/8 rabbets that would otherwise accept the bottom, however, instead of a solid piece of SC, I milled down 3/4" by 1/8" strips, steamed them in a steambox (to make them pliable) and wove an interlocking grid with them that left plenty of room for air to circulate. ... Ill try and find a picture of an old piece to show you.
    This sounds brilliant. Please post your pic(s) here for me to see as well

-b