Thread: Photographing woodturnings question

Smile Photographing woodturnings question

I have been playing around with my camera's settings (Sony DSC-W80) and working with the white balance and ev settings to try to get the coloring of the wood more accurate. I purchased the #39 gradient that was recommended to me, and I think the colors of0 are getting more accurate. However, I have not figured out how to get the background color of the gradient to reflect that color. I can get the gradient to match, but then the color of the wood is off, or I can get the color of the wood right, and the color of the gradient tends toward the blue color.

I have included a couple of shots that I took with the camera. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or criticisms of how the photos show. If anyone could shed some light on the placement of the turnings, or, if there are other things that I need to focus on to get the photos looking better, I would sincerely appreciate it.

One more question... am I taking my shots of the bowl (in particular) too high? I want to show the side of the bowl as well as what some of it looks like inside.

Thanks in advance....Dave

Stoppers.jpgPens.jpgBowls.jpgikebanas.jpg

Maple bowl - heavily striped and figured.jpgWeed Pot and Bowls.jpg

I'm no photographer, but I would worry about the color of the turning being correct. Unless the blue tint of the background is objectionable in some way, I don't think it is something to worry about. Seems to me I read somewhere that each monitor shows colors slightly differently anyway. So what you see on your monitor may not be what I see on mine. Free advice, so take it for what its worth.
    The hurrier I goes, the behinder I gets.

Dave- forget about reproducing the gradient background and concentrate on the important subject matter, the turnings. Part of the image "flat" color appearance is due to slight underexposure, so try exposure compensation on your camera settings of +1/2 and +1 if available. You are also creating optical barrel distortion by shooting too close to the bowls with a wide angle focal length lens setting- back away and use a longer focal length, also a bit lower camera position, and allow a bit more side image area in the single bowl shot. Shootin' great images ain't easy, that's why I make the "big bucks!"

Tom- you should color calibrate your monitor! Each monitor should NOT show a different color bias, but unfortunately many do because users don't know how to standardize them.

I have tried a lot of variations in background, light type and brightness and the position of the lights. But like Jamie said, you will be able to take better pictures if you get out of the auto mode and play with the ISO speed, the shutter speed, and a great variety of tools that are on most all digital cameras these days. Before with a 35mm it was much easier to change the film speed, shutter speed, and the aperture settings and take the picture, but you had to wait for the development to see how you did. But with the digital you can try 20 different combinations until you find the right one and delete the ones that are no good. I use a tripod for most everything except miniatures as most times then I am resting my hand on a box or something to steady myself for a lot of quick shots.

So I guess learn all the options on your camera and play around with things until you become familiar with what is available to you. I still am learning all the stuff that is on our Cannon and Kodak cameras, but it is fun!

Good luck,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Thank you, everyone, for your suggestions. I guess I was fixated too much on getting the gradient color accurate and not on the wood.

Jamie... Thanks for the tips on the bowls.... I have not been happy at all with the way I have photographed them in the past. I have so much to learn with respect to taking pictures properly...

Dave