Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pyro Machine Info needed

Pyro Machine Info needed

I have a project in the works I am going to need a burner for, I dont know how far into this I will get so I dont want to spend $300-400 on a unit. Nibsburners look pretty nice, they have single and dual units for around $160 or so for the double, 60 or so less for the single. I dont want to spend $20 on one at hobby lobby and just get frustrated with it not keeping up with the heat I need at the tip either. Could I get some recommendations from you all in the know about what I should be looking at, is the Nibs I mentioned above ok, or what would you do? Thanks for any and all info! Tim
    Critiques on works posted are always welcome

I know that Molly recommends the "Burnmaster", it is in the same price range.

I agree with Dennis Molly likes the Burnmaster because it has enough power to do heavy burning if needed and is also fairly reasonably priced.

Alan

I have the Burnmaster Hawk with the single hookup. So far, I have not seen a need for the dual pen set-up. This is the kit I got:

http://www.woodcarverssupply.com/NEW...ctinfo/499201/

Tim,
    Here's what I learned. I bought a 65 watt Nibsburner with the intent of doing a little pyro. At 65 watts, the unit can heat up a small tip hot enough to burn anything you would normally want. If you want to make your own tips, especially larger patterns, you need more. If you are buying a commercial unit, the monetary difference between 65 watts and 140 watts is not that great. Meanwhile you will not have the limitations when you take it to the next level. Right now, be it smart or not I will let you know, I am building Graeme Priddle's version from a simple battery charger with some modifications. It should get larger patterns red hot and keep them that way if so desired. As I said, this might be another of my grand ideas gone array. Stay tuned for updates.
    Here is a bit of reading material about building your own. http://www.svwoodturners.org/TipsTri...Vaporizer.html
    or there is another on the Craft KB forum - search for Graeme Priddle Vaporizer should locate it. There is lots more available if you look around the web.

faust
    Last edited by John Keeton; 07-05-2011 at 8:31 PM. Reason: to remove link to forum per TOS

Tim, I have a RazorTip. It works OK but I would not recommend it for the simple reason that the profile tips are very expensive compared to other brands. It also has trouble holding the heat in the tip unless you crank up the dial, then the tips burn out faster. With the marvelous work Molly does I would think seriously about her recommendations.
    I turn, therefore I am

I bought the Brunmaster "Hawk" (single pen) on Molly Winton's advice. She said the only difference between the Hawk and the Eagle was single and double pens. Other than that, they are are identical. I paid $185 for the Hawk Kit, which included 10 tips and the adaptors to use other makers pen units. I wouldn't waste a bunch on the "kit" unless you look at the tips and think those are going to work for you. Frankly I dont see using more than 2 of them and would have saved some money buying the Hawk basic kit and some NiChrome wire. I am ordering some wire, which can easily be put into the end of the pen.

I have no experience with other burners except for the $10 cheapy. This is a fantastic tool. It gets glowing hot in less than 10 seconds and cools to the touch in probably 20 seconds. I really like it and since Molly recommeded it.....well that is enough advise for me.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Tim, I have the Burnmaster Eagle - only because I located it on CL. It came with a bunch of tips, and a Detailmaster pen. I have yet to do much with it, but it does work great. The pen is ventilated, but still gets hot. I ordered some foam sleeves for the pen, but have not installed them yet.

Tim, I built the one Faust linked too. When I tried it out it vaporized the small gauge wire I had in it. Then I noticed I had it as high as it would go. I turned it down and it worked. I ordered heavier gauge wire but have not had a chance to play with it much since I built it.
    Whippingwater
    What if the Hokey Pokey REALLY IS what it's all about.

Thanks for all of the info everyone, I will sort through and figure out which way I am going to go with this, I like the idea of building one myself if I have the time...and saving money is nice as I could put it towards something else....

Burnmaster in my shop. I got it because of the breaker protection. Works great. Never tried the others but I know folks that use the successfully.

A guy in my local club (Golden Triangle) demo'd a home-made one made from a car battery charger....mega power. Fried most everything. Really fickle to find the right voltage/tip temp. His had 4x the footprint of my Burnmaster, still cost $60 in parts.

I have the Burnmaster and its great. My daughter uses it more than I do. Great machine and it comes with extra tips and you can make your own if you want to.

I looked at many different units from make your own, to Nips and Burnmaster, the Burnmaster is hands down the best deal of the bunch, although I do wish I could find a place that sold the Burner unit, pens and tips in one package, but I do think this is the way to go. I looked into Graeme Priddle's DIY version and to be honest I think it looks like a fire waiting to happen, I am going to go with the Burnmaster unit, thanks for all the help here, Tim

Tim, here is the exact same kit I bought and at $8 less than I paid in St Paul!

http://www.woodcarverssupply.com/NEW...ctinfo/499201/

Not affiliated with them and I don't think that is the outfit that I bought mine from, but I dont know. I just did a google search for it and this was what I found.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

I have the Optima 1 and really like it. It is hot enough for deep burning and will burn nicely at mid range.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.