Thread: Great wheel Lathe- 18thc repro

Great wheel Lathe- 18thc repro

Here's something you don't see on Ebay every day:

400227106732 ( not sure of the protocol for dealing with Ebay listings)

I was working on a historical preservation project in Chester, SC at the time "The Patriot" was being filmed in the area. I bought my morning coffee at a convience store usually filled with bit players in costume on the way "to work". A friend of mine was a carpenter, building movie sets... mostly dummy building facades, so I got to go to the sets a few times.

I won't be bidding - it doesn't come with an apprentice to turn the wheel.

I think that is a reasonable price. A bargain actually

Someone from one of the turning clubs brings one of those to the Cabin Fever Expo in York every year. It's fun to watch it in operation & they usually let the kids turn the crank. The kids of course think it's great fun.

That wheel looks just like the wheel our wheelwright made for the great wheel lathe in the cabinet shop in Williamsburg. His,however,had a thick steel tire in the bottom of its groove to give it inertia,I suppose. I'm not sure if they still have that lathe,or a more primitive version now.

Whoever made that wheel knew what he was doing. It is a nice piece of work. For "The Making of a Patriot",being that far back,I'd have to guess it was made in the Millwork Shop. They also made at least one of our coaches there many years ago. Definitely a far above average millwork shop. It's still there,just a few feet away from the Toolmaker's Shop.

That wheel would cost $$$$$$$ if you got it made today!!

George, does the crank handle have some sort of clutch or does it spin directly with the wheel?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

It spins with the lathe.