Thread: What to do with my free box of tools?

What to do with my free box of tools?

I am in need of some help. I have just started in to woodworking. I acquired a few stanley planes from the auction site. No. 4, No. 5 and No. 7. I also purchased the Woodriver low angle block plane. So far the block plane is the only one that I have used. I am in the process of finishing some renovating in the house and I mostly do woodworking stuff (building my portable workbench and getting planes tuned up) while things are drying in the house after paint/stain/varnish.

I responded to a craigslist post about a bunch of antique tools in my neighborhood. I normally don't respond to many posts as the drive is too far. I went to check them out but they seemed pretty far gone and I already had a good set to start with. The person that had them had used them for decoration in his house. Most ended up not selling and he called me back saying I could have what was left for free.
    Hanover-20110710-00087.jpgHanover-20110710-00088.jpgHanover-20110710-00090.jpgHanover-20110710-00089.jpg

Most of the tools have no name. The Scythe says "Big Indian" and has a cool ribbed handle, unfortunately it's got a crack in the handle. The bench planes are from left to right, Dunlop, Stanley, Craftsman. The blocks have no names that I can read with all the corrosion.

I talked myself into going to pick up this box because I thought that having a brace and bits would be cool (despite my fondness for my cordless drill) and that the planes might yield some useful parts for tuning or future repairs to my auction site set of Stanley's.

Now that I've got them home, the Stanley plane is somewhat of a curiosity to this handplane novice. It is sized right in between my No. 4 and No. 5 in length at 11 1/4 and is just hair narrower in the body, measuring in at 2 3/8". It has no markings other than Stanley on the Lever Cap (with straight hole) and the US PAT APR 19 1910. At this point in time I can't see any other markings. Seems like maybe a 5 1/4. Did Stanley make these without Bailey markings at some point and is it worth trying to restore or should I just hang on to it for future parts needs?

Does any of the other stuff jump out as interesting or worth putting some time and effort into stopping the rust? Does anybody need/want any of them for parts/door stops/decorations?

Thanks for the thoughts, ideas and suggestions.
    AT

I think your mid-size plane has been modified. The toe is definitely cut and I expect the heel is as well. Can't tell from the photos but it looks like the blade is 2" wide. If so, it's probably a cut down Bailey #5 (Type 13 I believe). It should still be useable as long as the sole and mouth are in good order.

Handle cracks are fixable. The most interesting things I see there are the combination squares. What brand name is on there? If they are solid and square, they could be treasures to use constantly.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

There was no blade in the Stanley one, only a chip breaker which measures 2" wide.

I'll have to look more carefully at the squares, but I didn't see any names on them, maybe as the blades clean up one might be revealed.

Go top Harbor Freight and pick up some evapo-rust and soak it all. You'll be pleasantly surprised.
    It's sufficiently stout..