Thread: Need advice on buying a Woodmaster drum sander

Need advice on buying a Woodmaster drum sander

I have an opportunity to buy a used Woodmaster 3840 drum sander (5hp Leeson motor) that appears to be in good condition. It does not have a belt that walks the wood through the sander, rather it has pinch rollers that force the wood through as it slides on a laminate surface. I am guessing that this is the primary difference between this model and the newer 3875 that does have the belt. My question is, for $850 is this a good deal for the older technology or should I wait and get the belt drive model for MUCH more than the $850? Does anyone have any experience with the older Woodmasters that have the pinch rollers? Also, I'm being told it's 12 +/- years old. Does anyone know when Woodmaster came out with the belt drive model? I'm looking for this to use in my home shop. Thanks for any advice!

Craig, I have had two 3875’ s (older one and newer one) and both of them have had the variable speed conveyor belt and hadn’t changed much in design. In my opinion the variable speed is a nice feature and I don’t think I would like one without that feature. I am not sure of how old that unit is that you are looking at but I had purchased my first one for about $600.00 and my currant one for $1200.00 both used and both worked great. I had checked the serial numbers directly with WoodMaster and they told me how old they were.(give them a call they are very nice to deal with if you can get the serial number) One was about 15 years old and my currant one is only 1 year old. So if you keep an eye out you may find a better deal. My guess is the unit you are looking at is older or never was produced much as I have never seen one and being they don’t make them any more I am not sure how good it would be. Most of their units haven’t change much due to the proven design? Good luck…

Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Craig, I have a 2675 with reversible, variable speed conveyer. I would not want one without the conveyer.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Craig, Don't know where you are but I have a performax 25x2 in WI for less. Dave