Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monticello Poplar bowl prices

Monticello Poplar bowl prices

I got this emailed to me this morning about some of the work of turner Fred Williamson. His work on the Monticello Poplar has been noted before. I thought some of you would like to see what these are going for. This is not the first time I have seen some of the bowls, but it is the first time I have seen some of the pricing on them.

I found it interesting to say the least............... especially in light of JK's comment on Ellsworth's forms and what they sell for on another thread. In no way am I posting this except for folks to look at the prices these are getting.......the email also stated that only 10 available at this time..........looks like they are being purchased at a pretty good clip.

I hope noting the pricing is not considered advertising...I do not intend in any way to violate the terms of service. I read them and don't think this has, especially as I am just wanting to note the pricing of these, and how turners might relate this to some of their own turnings.

I have nothing to do with these, but I believe Mr. Williamson does do very nice work. Fellow creeker Nate Hawkes has also done some bowls for the Monticello poplar.

Tulip Poplar Bowl #166: $1500
    Tulip Poplar Bowl #177: $1600
    Tulip Poplar Bowl #187: $1400
    Tulip Poplar Bowl #215: $2100

Tulip Poplar Bowl #216: $1800

Tulip Poplar Bowl #221: $600
    Tulip Poplar Bowl #218: $950
    Tulip Poplar Bowl #219: $850

Tulip Poplar Bowl #222: $700

All purchases help support our dual mission of preservation and
    education, and all are deeply appreciated.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________
    Thomas Jefferson Foundation, Inc.
    Monticello Catalog
    556 Dettor Road, Suite 107
    Charlottesville, Virginia 22903
    Order Line: 800.243.1743
    Customer Service: 800.243.0743
    Email: catalog@monticello.org

Last edited by Roger Chandler; 07-07-2011 at 10:38 AM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Pretty nice looking bowls, but I'd rather stare at 19 hundred dollar bills! I'm admittedly not much of a history buff, so the allure of Monticello is not enough for me.

I am on the same page as David, I am all about our history and the struggles for freedom, but to have a bowl made out of a tree connected to Thomas Jefferson does not IMO make them worth $1500-$2000. They are nice but not that nice, it just goes to prove what I say about a lot of things, just because it has a "Famous" name connection can make a $100 item a $1000 but it is still a $100 item. Sort of like lipstick on a pig.....and other fun sayings!

Buy em if you got the cash, I will just turn another bowl out of my own old wood and be just as happy.

Money can't buy you happiness, but I guess it would sure be fun trying!!!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

I was at Monticello in September 2010 and saw a couple of these bowls - they were really nice - an awesome job was done - very thin walls - for the size of the bowl - the 2 I saw had walls about 1/4".

For those who are fortunate to have deep enough pockets for one of these turnings, and have a great appreciation for the historical aspect of this wood, and for Jefferson's contributions to our nation.............then I think that one of these would certainly be a desired collectable.

I know Mr. Williamson does earn his living from turning, and does many things that advance wood turning in this area of the country, as well as others who have turned some of this wood for the foundation. I admire his skill and workmanship. We also must remember that the foundation benefits from those turnings for the preservation of Monticello and related things. The artisan only gets a percentage.

If the patrons of the foundation are willing and able to purchase for the cause, then it is a win/win for all involved.

Well...if I'd be able to offset some of the cost of that as a bonafide tax credit...it would be easier to swallow, especially since ol' Tom was a historical G-man.

Regardless, those are some beautifully made bowls that pay tribute to a great piece of our history. I'd suspect history buffs would snap these up at the price shown...just a matter of making the right folks know they exist and that they have some rarity in availability.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

I have made many bowls out of this tree for Monticello, and let me tell you, they are worth it. The bowls in the $1500-$2000 range are very large; 16-20" diameter, and 8-12" deep. Fred Williamson is truly an artist, and I am lucky to have learned much from him.

One of the things I really love about turning.... pick up a twig anywhere you go and you have a pen. Hawaii, Jefferson's yard, Grand Canyon (done), the rose bush..... your rose bush. Limitless opportunities - on the cheap! Personally, I'd rather horse trade with a fellow turner to get a piece that signified the friendship and the passion for the craft, or perhaps art in your (whoever) case.
    mj
    Last edited by Michael James; 07-07-2011 at 7:17 PM. Reason: clarification

I live in Monticello, Ga. I assure you that, if you sell a bowl for $45 you have had a good day some people just fall into a bucket of Stuff) .

It does my heart good to see any 'turner' with quality pc.'s get a good price for the often 'very detailed and labor intensive' pc. I was looking on the AAW gallery, and was happy as well to see prices there from$300- $60,000, with lots in the $300-900 level.It's just the opposite on the local scene, where guys are selling stuff for $40, that i know has taken a day and a half,actually some nice pc.'s.As someone who is trying to use this venue of art as a means of a livable income, I applaud everyone who succeeds in this endeavor,which in turns spurs me on that it may be so with me.

Just as I have always been happy to see a neighbor's house sell for more than I would ever imagine, I am happy to see turned objects sell for as much as possible. This should be viewed as good news. Imho!!
    Jerry

"It is better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation" - Herman Melville

Could someone point me to the thread with the Ellsworth discusion please, I am curious to read that and see what others opinions are. I was on his site recently and saw some of his priceing...I will be honest when I say I thought it was absolutly ridiculous what he was charging for a bowl.
    Critiques on works posted are always welcome

13. Quote Originally Posted by Tim Thiebaut View Post
    Could someone point me to the thread with the Ellsworth discusion please, I am curious to read that and see what others opinions are. I was on his site recently and saw some of his priceing...I will be honest when I say I thought it was absolutly ridiculous what he was charging for a bowl.
    Tim,

John Keetons comment was on DD's thread .........look on the last page 3rd post from the end:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ia-Palissandro

Blog Entries
    roger, how do i get to monticello ??? ed

15. Quote Originally Posted by ed hoxter View Post
    roger, how do i get to monticello ??? ed
    If this is a serious question Ed.........I would encourage you to look up the directions on MapQuest. You also can google it, and get a map from google maps. Charlottesville, Va. right off I-64, I forget the exit number off the top of my head.

Looking to purchase one of these? A phone call and credit card to the gift shop would probably fix you right up! Numbers are on my original post at the beginning of the thread.