Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jointer vs TS/Planer question.

Blog Entries

Do Easy Smart & Festool cutting systems play into this?

The information I have read recently suggested looking at existing and planned projects in order to decide which tool is need first.

I just bought an Ez Smart guide system. It is very easy to create a straight edge or two on dimensionless lumber with it. I wonder if some of the Ez Smart & Festool cutting system owners here have found it possible to get by without a joiner for a while or indefinitely? I think I will go for a planer first. I also plan to research combo planer/joiners since speed of production is not my major issue and I have limited space.

Jerry,

You've got enough opinions already, but I'll add mine. After years of doing it on the side, I'm now a professional remodeling contractor who builds quite a bit of cabinetry - both for parts of larger projects and as stand alone jobs. I also build quite a bit of furniture, though mostly for friends and family.

I own an original Ryobi 10" lunchbox planer, but still do not have a jointer. Would I like one, sure. Will I buy one soon, most likely. But for a decade, I have gotten by without one, with little or no affect to the end product. However, I am pretty darn good now with hand planes, which definitely makes the lack of a jointer a little more doable. Choosing good stock to begin with also makes life w/o a jointer much easier.

Bottom line: There are many ways to straighten the edges of boards, some are faster than others, but all can give good results. But when it comes to flattening the faces of bords, and making them parallel to each other, well, unless you have lots of time, the jointer/planer method is really the only way to go.

You don't NEED a jointer, but they sure are handy and work extremely well in tandem with a planer. A planer doesn't flatten a board's face without the help of a sled and shimming....it just smooths it and reduces thickness. A jointer will flatten imperfections, then make an edge adjacent to the flat face.

Best bang for the buck IMO are the direct import machines from Grizzly, Yorkcraft, Sunhill, and Bridgewood. The Ridgid is ok too. A machine that's a step up IMHO is the GI with it's 55" beds, but costs ~ $529.

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    I will taking the desenting opinion position:

A jointer is a must -- absolutely would not be without one !!
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.