Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CBN Grinding Wheels Evaluation

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

CBN Grinding Wheels Evaluation

I finally assembled the necessary components and was able to install my new CBN grinding wheels that I purchased from Dave Schweitzer of D-Way Tools. I took Bill Neddow's advise and replaced my high speed grinder to a slow speed unit. These wheels cut very, very, fast!

As Dave says in his video, " ya just gotta fiddle with 'em". It didn't take me long to position the wheels so that most of the wobble was gone. The wheels are balanced and take forever to stop on the grinder. The grinder with wheels on is very quiet.

I used my Glaser 15V oval bowl gouge. Normally I would de-burr after grinding but to show how the gouge looked right after grinding, I omitted this step. The gouge was much, much, cooler with the CBN wheels than with my previous Oneway wheels. I didn't have a dust cloud around me when I was done grinding.

I liked the fact that these wheels are wider than my former wheels. And I was able to use these 8" wheels on my 7"grinder without fear of the wheels exploding on me. They are factory balanced and grinder and wheel run extremely quiet together.

Grinding gouges has become fun again!
    CBN WHEELS1.jpgCBN WHEELS3.jpgCBN WHEELS4.jpgCBN WHEELS2.jpg

I just installed my 180 grit CBN wheel today. I have been generally happy with my sharpening results, but this wheel brings a whole new meaning to 'scary sharp'. Very worthwhile investment IMHO.

I love mine! Two would be very nice - someday....!

4. I just hadda do it!

Just ordered one.........180 grit 8".............I think this will be a good upgrade for my grinder........my "I" hardness Norton 3x is already showing wear pretty good after only about 8 months.............very frangible, so maybe this will fix me up!

Yeah, yeah, I know............ Stinkin' Vortex!
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 07-08-2011 at 7:34 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Just ordered one.........180 grit 8"...
    Gotcha!!! Sucked another one right down the hole!

6. Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Gotcha!!! Sucked another one right down the hole!
    Thanks John............I'll send you the bill!

7. Dave from D-way tools emailed me last night...........my order is already shipped! That took what maybe 2 hours? With service like that, I could learn to love doing business with his company.

Kudos for good service!

Can these wheels be used on a 3450 rpm grinder, or do they have to be on a slow speed?
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

9. Quote Originally Posted by Grant Wilkinson View Post
    Can these wheels be used on a 3450 rpm grinder, or do they have to be on a slow speed?
    You might find out that info for sure by emailing Dave at D-Way tools. He has a web site as well, and perhaps you can get info there.

www.d-waytools.com

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Wilkinson View Post
    Grant, the heat build up with CBN is nearly non-existent, so speed is a factor only in the amount of metal removed. Be warned that these wheels will remove A LOT of metal quickly - even on a slow speed grinder. Once you get the feel, then they work great and the result is a keep edge with very little lost metal. A light touch and quick movement is the best method - I suspect with a 3450 grinder, you would need to be very quick.

I agree with John on the high speed sander. The main problem with high speed would be the amount of metal removed. But, you can be gentle. Like Harvey, I quickly touch up the flute on the powdered metal tools with a diamond hone. It helps make the scary sharp edge even better. I am glad people are liking these new wheels.

Greg, your choices in 8" are 80 and 180. I bought only one, and decided the 180 was the clear choice. It will remove metal very quickly, and leaves a beautiful edge. If I need to do some serious reshaping, then I can still use the 60 grit AO wheel that I left on my grinder.

Harvey - found that my CBN really took off the steel as well! Actually removed steel faster than my 120 grit stone! Makes me wonder what a 360 grit wheel would be like?

Have to admit that I really like the lack of dust from the wheel! Now all I see is a bit of metal filings at the base of the grinder! Seriously - a big step up from the traditional grinder wheel! Was a little worried when I first purchased the CBN but already know it was a wise move and wish I had done it sooner!

Looking forward to seeing what you turn with that sharpened 15V!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Harvey - found that my CBN really took off the steel as well! Actually removed steel faster than my 120 grit stone! Makes me wonder what a 360 grit wheel would be like?

Have to admit that I really like the lack of dust from the wheel! Now all I see is a bit of metal filings at the base of the grinder! Seriously - a big step up from the traditional grinder wheel! Was a little worried when I first purchased the CBN but already know it was a wise move and wish I had done it sooner!

Looking forward to seeing what you turn with that sharpened 15V!

Steve,
    The first thing I did was to chuck an ovaled red elm bowl blank which had been sitting since day one and in no time had it roughed out and in the DNA (just in case). The gouge was sharp (real sharp). I'm very happy with the CBN wheels. I'm glad the technology is here!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    ... Makes me wonder what a 360 grit wheel would be like?...
    Do they actually make wheels for our purposes finer than 180? I'm going to end up getting one of these wheels if you guys keep going on about them... I will be giving your names to my wife!