Thread: How can I mount this burl?

How can I mount this burl?

I have a brown mallee burl that I would like to turn, but want to leave the back natural without flattening a spot, creating a tenon, or a recess. Is this possible? If so, how? I have searched various media, but haven't come up with a solution. I'm assuming it probably can't be done.

The burl is about 14" long and not quite as wide.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Greg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Greg McClurg; 10-08-2013 at 10:58 PM.

You did not give a size. I might consider using something like ridgid foam support that you could use with a Straka or donut chuck to give you the access to the flat side to turn a "bowl recess". You would need to use some gripping material like foam shelf lining between the piece and the donut plate, but you should be able to get a firm grip on the piece. I would try that approach if it is less than 14" D and fit inside my donut chuck. There is usually way - some more unusual an non-conventional.

Greg, I have done a few of these burls, but I wanted mine mounted on some hand made ebony legs, 3 of them, to keep all the prickly bits. I started with a screw chuck into the bit that is to be hollowed out, (you have to find the mean centre) and while it had the prickly bits outwards, I selected 3 equal height areas, roughly concentric and routed a 3/4 inch wide flat and drilled a hole to take a roofing screw. I then reversed it onto a timber face plate and with some spacers, between these flats and the faceplate I screwed through the faceplate into the burl, so it was now mounted ready to hollow out. After all the finishing I then made the 3 legs, and they were all slightly different heights to get the burl level. A fair bit of work, but it won me 1st prize in our local show. If you cant follow this, let me know and I will take some pictures, and try to post them, but I am no computor whizz.
    rgds,
    Richard.

A spiggot can be glued to the centre of the "prickly" side using hot melt glue you will have to fill the voids and a hot air gun or hair dryer will work well, when finished the glue can be removed with the hot air and any residue can be cleaned up with DNA. you will need to let the hot melt cure for a while to let any heat in the burl disparate and take VERY light cuts ( don't ask me how I know)
    This method is used a lot by Anna Dawes from Western Sydney Wood turners I am not sure if there is any further info on her web site
    Regards
    Graham

I have a piece of this material that is very similar in size and shape.
    I am very interested how you make out. Good luck!

you could use Jerry Marcantel's gizmo into the back (held by a chuck) with the tailstock pulled up into the bumpy side of the burl, the tiny holes can be filled with the waste from turning the front, i use it to turn cairn boxes

Thanks everyone for your responses. Charlie, I think Jerry's idea might work.

Greg

A doughnut chuck is one way. Another is to make a shop made wooden face-plate ( for this piece, 14" diameter). Use double stick tape to secure 1" thick styrofoam sheet to the face-plate. Put the blank with the burl face in to foam. Bring your tail stock up, apply pressure,turn your bowl (light cuts). Carve the small remaining spigot away to finish.